Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Surgical Career Lifestyle Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgical Career Lifestyle Issues

https://www.facs.org/education/resou...ents/lifestyle

Thought it was interesting that the American College of Surgeons has this little disclaimer.

It offers that 60% of female surgeons are married and 40% have children. It also says "Most surgeons are able to hire out activities (such as house cleaning or yard work) they do not have time to pursue. Most women surgeons have in-home child care for their children."

At least they're honest. I wonder how many male surgeons are married/have children....

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I feel like all of that applies to working women in time-intensive careers anywhere. Every working mom at my office has a nanny. EVERY SINGLE ONE. No one can do daycare with our hours.
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Agreed. I think we are headed to careers that require you to be available 24/7 (and thus have a nanny) in exchange for more money, and jobs that pay poorly but have predictable hours.

It's a sad situation for family life.

Angie
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

From my limited experience most men surgeons are married or divorced or remarried. Most of those have kids too. They don't usually have time for the kids (to be an involved parent).
        Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

It's really sad. And it makes me even more thankful for my job that allows me to have both. Sure, I'll never make the kind of money that surgeons make, but I do well enough to support us now and pay for some of the hired activities that we don't necessarily need but appreciate.
          Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
            Agreed. I think we are headed to careers that require you to be available 24/7 (and thus have a nanny) in exchange for more money, and jobs that pay poorly but have predictable hours.

It's a sad situation for family life.

Angie
            Yep. It's really, really sad. And the comments I've heard people (in particular male attendings) make about female surgery residents' potential for "screwing everything up" by having babies during pregnancy can get pretty despicable. During the years of life when many women would be most likely to have children (med school/residency), often times they're actively discouraged from doing so.

I'd be curious to know the stats for male surgeons as well. I'd be surprised if it's far off from the general population.
            Wife of a surgical fellow; Mom to a busy toddler girl and 5 furballs (2 cats, 3 dogs)

Comment

Working...
            X