Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Home call and sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home call and sleep

Hubby was texting me this morning and said something about why he had to go in at 3am this morning. Um, this is the second time this weekend that he's gone in in the middle of the night and I haven't even noticed. I can officially sleep through the pager, returned phone calls, and him getting up and leaving. Success? I still wake up to E's crying though, even though she's on the other side of the house and I have the sound turned off on the monitor - hubby naturally sleeps through her crying.
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

I'm the exact same way. Clearly we're quite the expert medical spouses . Pro: I don't miss out on sleep. Con: someone could apparently enter, shower, and leave my house all without my knowledge.

Comment

apparently its hit or miss when I sleep through his calls.. actually, I think its rare I do. I too hear E's cries across the apartment with the sound turned off on the monitor. Although as soon as DH gets up to shower I have to turn it on bc I can't hear it over that, but usually hes waking up at the same time (5:30is).
      -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
      Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
      Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

When the children were small we had this commonly happen: a child would come into our room several times because they were not feeling well...even throwing up. The next morning I would say what a horrible night and he would say, what do you mean? I slept like a rock!!!! OR he would complain about what an awful night he had and I slept right through it.

Now the children are older and neither one of us sleep very well whether he is on call or not. It is like all the years have completely disrupted our sleep patterns.

Comment

Same here, spaz.
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

That's happened to us too, spaz! In the morning he'd be like, E slept well, huh? Um, no, but you clearly did!
            Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I sleep right through the 'going in' bustle. I mean, he's considerate about it, but still.

The multi multi multi snooze button slaps on clinic days? Notsomuch.

Comment

Originally posted by cristinb View Post

The multi multi multi snooze button slaps on clinic days? Notsomuch.
                Guilty! I'm terrible with my snooze button. DH can't stand it!
                ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm totally a snooze button person, although I try not to if hubby is home asleep. I've gotten better at this now that E is sleeping later and I try to shower before she wakes up on work days.

Comment

Haha I just posted an almost identical version of this thread!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm a super light sleeper, and I always have been. Luckily, DHs current job doesn't have him paged at 3:00 a.m. very much anymore. Residency was weird in that he was pretty much never home anyway. If he was, he got paged a lot. We often slept in separate rooms, or he'd put his pager on vibrate. I got so used to not sleeping with him by me, that even now, I get kinda grumpy when he's in bed with me. He's hot, and he snores. And the snooze button!!!!! I could shoot the asswipe that invented that. Glad you're able to go back to sleep!

I just don't get a lot of sleep these days.

Heidi
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I am a super light sleeper so I hear every page, convo and movement. We no longer have alarm issues. He learned that if it goes off multiple times or for a prolonged period of time, I am up and if I am up, the lights come on, the dogs are up, all kinds of noise etc. If he does not want to hear that, then he needs to make sure I do not hear the alarm more than once.
                        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

There is no snooze button. I killed that with the quickness within a week of us starting dating (yes, we were in bed together that quickly...so sue me, he's hot). Once I'm awake, I'm awake so the snooze button cannot happen. When you alarm goes, get OUT OF BED. I do the same when I travel and get up before him.
                          Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I sleep through pretty much everything now, unless the phone rings. That still engenders "it's 2 o'clock in the morning why is the phone ringing who died"-type panic in me and I am awake immediately. I also wake up with pages every time he gets a new pager (new beep pattern) for a few nights until I get used to it. He has always been very considerate with pages, though. He leaves our room, closes the door softly, and goes far enough away that I don't hear his voice at all when he returns the page. If he is getting paged a lot, he sleeps in the guest room. We thought about all these things when we built our house, including the fact that I can't hear the garage door go up or down from our bedroom! What we didn't necessarily think about was that it makes it really easy for teenagers to sneak in past curfew lol! Our oldest is a noisy walker and always woke us up when he came in because he has no awareness of how much noise he makes. Our second son, though, is much quieter...could be trouble!
                            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Home call and sleep

I hear everything. He carries a smart phone instead of a pager. Some nights are brutal. Some are uneventful. This week, DH is on call 5 out of 7 nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Needs

Comment

Working...
                              X