Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Keeping up with the news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping up with the news

I need to get better at keeping up with the news and current events - I don't watch TV regularly enough to watch news shows, and I don't read the newspaper. How do you keep up with what's going on locally and in the world?
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Twitter and podcasts.

Comment

Any specific podcasts you'd recommend? I'm terrible at keeping up with Twitter. Oh, and my radio station doesn't do news often enough for me to catch anything on my drives.
      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

I'm bad a keeping up with Twitter too, and I wish I was better. TBH, I get a lot of news from the news alerts from my phone (I have six news apps, all of which I allow push notifications for) so if something big happens I see the notification and can navigate to the story if I choose to. Also? This isn't the best source but Buzzfeed and Reddit are probably some of the quickest to pick up on stuff with lots of details and frequent updates. For strictly finding out what's going on and reading quick updates, those two are some of my favorites just because I've usually already got one open in a background tab. From there, I usually seek out more reputable news sources and suss out what's what.
        Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

I set my computer homepage to CNN, so whenever I open up my browser, I can glance through headlines. If something looks interesting or important, I open it up in a new tab (right click on the headline). Then when I have some time later, I can click through the tabs and skim or read the articles.
          Laurie
          My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

6:30 Nightly News with Brian Williams because I like looking at him

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
              Any specific podcasts you'd recommend? I'm terrible at keeping up with Twitter. Oh, and my radio station doesn't do news often enough for me to catch anything on my drives.
              The thing about Twitter is I don't think you should feel like you have to "keep up." If you've got a good mix of people you're following (news outlets, tastemakers, etc) then you should be able to get a good sense of what's going on in the world just by scrolling through any time you've got a few minutes. I guess I use Twitter similarly to how WPW uses Reddit.

I like the Rachel Maddow podcast, but I think Sandy had a bunch of good recommendations in another thread on here the other day.

Comment

Well, with Twitter I ended up making two accounts - one person to follow and tweet to friends, one professional, which I used for self-promotion mostly. Overall, it was too much, and I felt like I was following too many people and I never really got much out of it.

Comment

NPR! Are you sure you've found the right radio station?

I'm a junkie. I listen to it the whole time I'm getting ready in the morning, and almost every time I'm in the car.

But I also subscribe to the newspaper, listen to podcasts, read RSS feeds, follow news people on Twitter... I have a news addiction. I just think NPR requires the least effort of all of those.
                  Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

I true on the radio to npr in the mornings as well, and I usually listen to either On Point or Diane Rehm's weekly wrap ups on Friday while I'm working. The international hour of DR is very informative; we don't get enough coverage of international news.

I feel like I should start listening to the BBC at lunchtime, but that's not a good slot for me on a daily basis.

And yes, the news app alerts are almost over kill - I get the same alert from like five different sources when something big happens.

Angie
                    Angie
                    Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                    Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Curegirl View Post
                      6:30 Nightly News with Brian Williams because I like looking at him
                      Yes this! ❤️him. I watch the local news before that and then him and then Jeopardy.

Geez I sound like I'm ready for my AARP card. And all of the drugs touted in the commercials during Nightly News.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I watch our local NBC affiliate/the Today Show in the morning as I get ready for work, and check twitter after school for headlines.
                        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

As I get ready for work I listen/sort of watch GMA. I think it is a good mix of world/pop culture news. I rarely watch TV so this is a lot for me - I feel I at least know what is Dancing with the Stars.
                          Other than that, I get news feeds from my browser. I like BBC.
                          Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

News sites -- both national and local-- loaded into my Feedly, which I read on my phone in spare moments, and NPR on the car radio.
                            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I use a mix of Vice News, NPR, and reddit. I have to take a break from NPR every couple weeks or so though, because I get too depressed. :/

Comment

Working...
                              X