Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

FB post question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FB post question

I'm toying with the idea of creating a FB post where I ask people to take a selfie of themselves holding a sign espousing some value of white culture (good or bad). I've seen posts where one post gets shared with thousands of people and it's possible to see all responses in that one thread.

1. How would I do that?
    2. Is it so lame that no one would respond? It would be for an assignment.

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

European American values. Like valuing the individual, placing time and tasks over relationships. I'm stereotyping.

Comment

Btw. Until I started researching European Americans (blah) culture I didn't get it either.

Comment

I think it has the potential to get nasty quick. Actually the more responses you get, the nastier it will probably be
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

That's not necessarily bad.

Comment

My thinking too. I think asking people to say what is a value of "white culture" might go over like a lead balloon on the internets. I wouldn't do it, but I guess it might go viral in a bad way if that's your goal.
            Angie
            Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
            Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm not touching that with a million foot pole!

Heidi
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I mean European American cultural values.

I have to come up with interviews on the topic. I thought this might be one way. It's not meant to be a white supremist post or denigrate whites.

Cultural values espoused by the European American population for real
                Last edited by PrincessFiona; 01-21-2015, 03:16 PM.

Comment

We do have cultural values. Is it not okay to talk about the culture? I'm going to count this as my interview, so speak up and tell me why not or why I'm wrong to bring this up (it's an assignment) or any thoughts you have good or bad on European American culture.

Comment

This is for my multicultural class. I hoped to get a 'real' group to study and instead drew this. Ugh. What to do. Seriously, who wants to talk about European Americans?!

Comment

I guess for me, European American culture doesn't exist. My family has been here since the late 1600s and is mingled with so many populations including Native American populations, I'd only be comfortable answering on "American values". I don't feel like I have a culture connected to any experience as a European American. Maybe a recent immigrant family from Europe might. Italian American values might apply to my husband since his family is here two generations ago and have remained strictly Italian American until I messed up the bloodline!

Angie
                      Angie
                      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

From what you describe, I think I'd concentrate on a particular European American group. German Americans are not the same as Italian American are not the same as Scandinavian Americans. It seems weird to lump them all together.

Angie
                        Angie

Comment

IMO, asking that question is only going to lead to confusion - like you're seeing here. It's not that it's wrong to ask, but you might need to be more clear about what you're looking for and why... otherwise I do think it's going to go in a million different, and possibly negative directions.
                          Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

Do you mean Americans of European descent or Europeans who have immigrated to America. Those two are quite different cultures. Maybe you can stop it from becoming a race thing by omitting 'white'. Most European Americans are white.
                            Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                            Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

European American would be very different from American of European decent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X