Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Graduation Gift??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graduation Gift??

OK what have you gotten for your SOs for their med school graduation?? (or what will you get?)

Things I've gotten for him for his resident career (like ties, nice tie clips) have never been met with much enthusiasm. I guess I don't blame him, but it's not like he's going to go out and get these things on his own...

I know he would really like a video game system BUT I have a feeling that if I get him a Game Cube it'll become the bane of my existence! I envision him sitting around on his days off, playing for hours, slack-jawed and with eyes glazed over...

Any ideas?

-Esther

It was an afterthought actually-but after we recieved he official pictures and some of the certificates/diploma I had them all professionally framed with gorgeous matching frames. I went to Michael's craft store I then arranged them around the computer so now this is his unofficial "office" Of all the things I have bought for him I think this has touched him the most-he has commented on them more than once. Michael's did a great job and as things come along I just add to with the same frame. they usually have 40% coupons in the Sunday paper or I am sure there will be a framing shop in your area. It gives my husband a place where he can look how far he has come-and let's face it they love to see their name on the wall M.D. or D.O. behind it :P[/quote]

Comment

Well, DH says he wants a Jeep, a keggerator and a Ms. PacMan table sized game. All of which cost ALOT of money. I think he is expecting me to get him something big, and I would like to but he is not bringing home a salary til July and I am on maternity leave. So definitely I need some ideas that are REALLY great but dont cost 10,000 dollars.
      Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I bought DH a gas grill he had been drooling over. It's a really nice one and should last us many years, so I think it has been a good gift.
        My parents gave him a watch. That has been a great gift too. He wears it nearly every day and still gets compliments on it.
        I think the framing diplomas is a great idea too.

Comment

We did the framing diplomas thing as a gift to each other (I graduated with my MBA at the same time). We got ours through Framing Success ( http://www.framingsuccess.com ). They are affiliated with a bunch of different schools, and they do frames on which you can get the name of your school printed. We did our undergrad and graduate frames in the same style, and they look awesome in our study. We've gotten a lot of comments and compliments on them too.

If you think your BF might really like a GameCube though, maybe you should go with that. I say this, of course, as DH is the proud owner of a Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, AND XBox...
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! I really like the framing idea. Although I wonder if his parents are planning to do that for him... hmmm.

I guess a Game Cube wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... I guess he could be asking for a Game Cube and a keggerator!

-Esther

Comment

I meant to ask earlier ... what exactly is a 'keggerator'? :
              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

A keggerator ( not sure if I spelled that right) is a fridge that is made to hold a keg of beer.
                Mom to three wild women.

Comment

I was thinking-I have noticed that I find Michael sneaking in a few minutes of game time with our son's playstation and when I work I know that they have played a little more than I like. Anyhow, that would be a simple little stress buster to have around. Who knows-you may have to sneak in there and play too-then he can count it as quality time Another idea that has worked out is ceritificates for massages and the grill idea was great if that is something he likes to do. I have everything ready and when he flies through the door he gets to do something he loves and help out!! I drive myself crazy trying to find the right gift sometimes- have a great day Oh one more thing-what residency? For my husband (surg) I had surgical caps made in all different holiday and his favorite sports themes-started out as a gag but actually had people ask for them. Tickets to his favorite sporting event (we hit the Raider's game That was a gift from my parents-the wait was long but it gave him something to look forward to and he just planned his vacation days around it-since it was the middle to fall it was just about the time he really needed a break

Comment

I would LOVE to make my husband some surgical caps in the material of our undergrad alma matter and his medical school - does anyone have any idea where you get material with college logos on it?
                    Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

My husband sports Purdue surgical caps. His grandma bought some
                      Boilermaker sheets, cut them apart, and followed the pattern of a cap that he gave to her. He loves them and they always spark a conversation in the surgery suite.

Kelly
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Oh yeah- massages are great. I got certificates for him for valentine's day-- there's a massage school nearby where you can get Very affordable student massages. He loved it.

Hmm I guess he'd probably get the game system anyway, whether I like it or not so maybe I should just do it... watch me turn into a Nintendo addict!

He's going into medicine, btw. And unfortunately I'm the meat eater, so a grill would be a bit self-serving!

-Esther

Comment

I got my husband his class ring from medical school- it's a really pretty gold ring- not the kind with the stone- a signet ring. I got MD on one side and 00 on the other with his initials on the inside. It has the USUHS seal as the signet. I called the alumni office and had the girl order the one that she liked the best (how's that for trusting a complete stranger) and I ordered it in 18k. I think it was a total about $500. I didn't think that was too much for something he'd have forever. It turned out beautifully! (and my husband loved it!)

Jenn

Comment

Wow, what great suggestions!!!!!

kris
                            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Working...
                            X