Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Obnoxious or just me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obnoxious or just me

So this really annoyed me today, but I'm not sure if it is just me. I'm considering saying something to the person in charge at the studio, but I'm not sure.

I've been going to OrangeTheory fitness since Halloween and I really like it. The setup is you book a 1 hour class 2-4x a week. If you cancel within 12 hours of the class, you lose the $$. You have to book in advance, which is pretty difficult with DH's schedule since we never know when his day off will be more than a few days (or not til the day before on this stupid rotation) or if he will be home early enough to relieve the nanny. So I have to plan very carefully when I go. Morning classes are almost never an option because they book so quickly and DH leaves so early.

I am doing their weigh loss challenge, which requires going to class 3X week. Normally you can go to any OrangeTheory Studio, but not for classes that count for the challenge. This past week has been awful for DH and I had to go today or I wouldn't qualify for the challenge anymore. I had get up stupid early to do something for work and had stuff going on this evening, so I decided to leave work early and go to the 4:30 class.

My meeting from 3:30-4 went over and I got out of there and tore across the city to get to the studio. They have a late policy where you cannot join the class if you arrive after x time. I got there late, but with a few minutes to spare. I asked if I could still join and the girl at the desk said, "Yes, you have two minutes before I cant let you in." I was in my work clothes and went to the restroom to change and she said, "Hurry you only have two minutes." Then it hit me that the woman wasn't going to let me in the damn class if I couldn't change in under 2 minutes. So I changed like a mad person (I wasn't moseying before either--I hate being late too!) and when I came out, she said, "You have 30 seconds to spare." I am NOT habitually late (usually pretty early) and I respect a late policy, but I feel like this was really over the line. She was seriously timing me and wasn't going to let me in if I wasn't fast enough. There is no more negative impact to me joining at 10 min 15 seconds vs 9 min 30 seconds late. I was obviously flustered and trying to make it there and it just ruined the whole workout for me.

I'm thinking of saying something because it really frustrated me (and was a little humiliating) and turns me off to the business. Or was I just in the wrong and shouldn't say anything?
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

At my bar class they go down to the second as well. If your not in, goodbye.

You could say something but I have found that often it just causes u more stress. Since you do enjoy it, I would not say anything rather than upset someone and then be uncomfortable .
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

What Brandi said...unless there's another gym you'd rather go to, I'd just go and not say anything for now.

Comment

What's the policy once you are in? As if you have to go to the bathroom during class? Can you leave and come back? If so, I'd show up in my work clothes next time and then leave and come back.

I get the whole no late comers because it disrupts the class. However, when you see someone busting their ass to get there, I tnink it is waaay different than coming in late because you were hanging out at the juice bar.
        Finally - we are finished with training! Hello real world!!

Comment

They don't care if you leave to go to the restroom or get water. I know they have a late policy and I get it--I was just annoyed because it was very obvious I was flustered and doing my best to get in there and I think she was seriously going to say, "Sorry, you are 5 seconds late. You cannot go in" It's just bad business. It's not like I'm habitually late either--I'm usually early!

I did end up sending something to the head trainer. I was really nice and explained the whole situation and said I understood the late policy, but the "countdown" just seemed unnecessary given the situation and really flustered and embarrassed me. I really doubt the employee had any idea about why I was busting my ass to get there or what I had to do to rearrange my schedule so I could go, but maybe it will make them think twice the next time this happens to someone else. I like the workout too much to quit, but for $100 per 8 classes, I don't want to be treated like that the one time something happens.
          Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I think it's good that you told the head trainer. I wouldn't want to have an employee acting like that.
            Laurie
            My team: DH (anesthesiologist), DS (9), DD (8)

Comment

Very obnoxious. You're so patient, I would have high tailed it out of there. I'm glad you said something. They shouldn't treat customers like that.
              Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
              Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Yea I'm glad you said something. Unless it's a super high volume place with a line of people waiting to get in (SIL teaches those types of classes. They fill up within 10 min of going online and there's always a line at the door of people on the wait list) they really can't afford to think that highly of themselves. Like you said, bad for business. They should give you 8 classes for free!

Comment

Before I read the entire post I, my impression was that someone was outside the class/in the lobby yelling "5! 4! 3! 2! 1!" in which case yeah, that's pretty obnoxious. Plus if it was the girl at the desk and not the class instructor it was probably just what she was told to do. I don't know, I don't think it's that obnoxious and probably wouldn't have said anything even if I did roll my eyes and think to myself "really? is it that big of a deal?" Now if you were 10 - 15 seconds late and she actually followed through with not letting you in, I'd have said something.
                  Last edited by WolfpackWife; 02-12-2015, 09:38 AM.
                  Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Did the trainer respond yet?

And yes, I find that obnoxious but I imagine if they aren't strict with the policy they will have people coming in at all times. They could at least just have a count down clock by the door and if it's at zero you can't go in. I would have been irritated with the gal counting me down for sure!
                    Tara
                    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

What? That is nuts. I would be seriously annoyed if I were you. To me, that's like me treated like a child. You're an adult with grown -up responsibilities ... maybe that means you will be a minute or two late sometimes.

But you know what? You are AWESOME for sticking with this challenge. I am SO impressed by you Marissa! Go you!!!!

Kris
                      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I thought I replied last night, but I guess it didn't go through. Anyways, I think you did the right thing by emailing the head person about it. I understand the rule in general, but counting down like that is completely unnecessary and rude. I hope someone apologizes, at the very least.

Comment

Ha, well she called and very nicely apologized. I'll take it.

Comment

Working...
                          X