Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Computer Crapola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Crapola

Our district hands out computers (MacBook air) to each high school kid. As parents, we are forced to sign a paper that we are responsible for the devices in order to get said computer. You can't opt out though. The kids use the computers in every class and need them at home for running certain district software and homework submissions. In addition, Aidan was handed an iPad. He's 11

Reluctantly, I signed all forms. What was my alternative?

So what happened?

Aidan's iPad screen cracked. We have not told anyone yet. Of course it cracked. He's carrying it everyday in his backpack.

And.

Drumroll.

Aidan accidentally spilled water on Alex's computer breaking the trackpad. It cost $470 to repair.

The school called and left a message on our answering machine that we owed them $470

Dh went apeshit. First he was mad at me for signing anything. Then he sent a scathing email to the principal stating that we won't pay for it and that the school will have to accommodate a student with no computer.

So Alex will be the only kid with no computer.

I agree with dh in theory but I'm pissed that he is putting it on me.

Does anyone think we have a leg to stand on about not paying?
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I don't know. Public school?

Heidi
    Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Depends on the form you signed. Here, they will pay for "reasonable damage". They have some insurance on devices. However, they charge the parents for some accidents.

This is why I wanted our district to go with the iPad program. Apple sets it up with each device insured for replacement and you basically rent them from them. I think that's just safer. Kids will break things. Guaranteed.

Angie
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

It is a public school Heidi

Comment

I think it's beyond ridiculous that people can't opt-out.

Comment

I dunno. I heard the districts are going fully electronic next year here, no more books.
            -Ladybug

Comment

Wow Kris. I don't know, I have a feeling you are going to have to pay and I don't see how Alex not having a computer will be possible. Our high school just went to computers this semester. All the kids had to provide their own based on required specs. This allowed for a variety of price points and the school isn't in ownership of the machines. But DS14 would not be able to function without his computer and I'm not even sure how the teachers would accommodate a child without. I think the school has a few loaners for kids whose computers are having trouble. Does your school offer that?

I'm not a huge fan of the 100% digital school. Although it's not really 100% because they still have books, etc. I'm so sorry, what a disaster.

Does Aidan have an Otterbox for the iPad? That is a HUGE lifesaver for us.
              Tara
              Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Here the kids are issued a massive Otterbox case for their iPads.
                Kris

Comment

We have Chromebooks and the school invested in carrying cases for everyone. No one uses them. That said, they are holding up well at the high school. Google classroom is also pretty slick and the kids like the interface.

Angie
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite

Comment

$470 is a lot for a laptop repair...did they have to replace the motherboard? A Macbook Air is a stupid stupid choice of laptop for heavy use by middle school and high school kids. WTF.

I'm with others on the Otterbox...honestly I don't know how anyone has a tablet or smartphone without a heavy duty case. Mine has been dropped so many times (and not even by kids) and only survives because of the otterbox like case.
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Marissa has an excellent point about cost. Pricing out a trackpad replacement online is less that $200. What did they claim to fix?
                      Tara
                      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Yes- the only reason to go with the Apple program over other computers was that they provide the insurance against damage and build in replacement and upgrade costs. Heck, they even do this with all iPhones now ($99 insurance gets you replacement, no questions asked) . I'm surprised a district would have Apple products and not have that program. Without it, Apple is cost prohibitive on a large scale.

If it's their device, then it's theirs to fix. I'd be looking at the contract.

Angie
                        Last edited by Sheherezade; 02-15-2015, 07:27 AM.
                        Angie

Comment

Any chance the district is making money on the repairs? That would be a cash cow......
                          Tara

Comment

Aidan's device came with an otterbox of their choosing. It is not allowed to be removed from the device. He is so careful with his iPad and he was so upset.

We'll have to see what the bill is for on Alex's computer. Thomas made a huge stink about it though. It's going to be a battle. My guess is Alex will lose.

Kris

Comment

Working...
                            X