Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Making a Graduation Slideshow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Graduation Slideshow

The spouses here are responsible for making a slideshow/video to play at residency graduation each year. It usually starts with photos of the whole class from the past 5 years, then has about a minute for each family (milestones that happened during residency, etc.). Obviously, since I'm in charge of it this year, I want to make sure it's the best one ever.
    What tips or ideas do you have for making a great residency graduation slideshow? Any music recommendations? Ideas for how it should be organized? I'm thinking of including a map toward the end that shows where each person is headed for fellowship. What else should I include??

I would personally alternate class stuff and personal stuff, but do the personal stuff alphabetically by last name (so no one can accuse favoritism). What about a map for each person with their medical journey (med school, residency, fellowship with specialty)?
    Jen
    Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyhoundsRUs View Post
      I would personally alternate class stuff and personal stuff, but do the personal stuff alphabetically by last name (so no one can accuse favoritism). What about a map for each person with their medical journey (med school, residency, fellowship with specialty)?
      Oooh I like that!

Comment

I don't know how familiar you are with PowerPoint, but there a lot of nice features for automating your slideshow. You can use Garage Band (if you have a Mac) to make a mix of music for the slideshow. Do the 5s get to pick their OR music (or do the attendings)? - maybe find out what kind of music they play and incorporate those genres (DH listens to either classic rock or DJ Tiesto-esque stuff, one of the attendings only has classical...)
        Jen
        Wife of a PGY-4 orthopod, momma to 2 DDs, caretaker of a retired race-dog, Hawkeye!

Comment

Hahahaha, the music DH listens to in the OR ('90s rap) would NOT be appropriate for graduation! I was googling around a bit for ways to make the map how I'm imagining it. Do you think I can make the map with PP? I saw a tutorial about making it in iMovie, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I think I'm going to make the slideshow/video with Animoto, or I might just use iMovie or something else.

Comment

I always forget about iMovie Solid choice!

What kind of map are you thinking? I would say your best bet may be to use a US map in Photoshop and add points in there for each person.
            Jen

Comment

I'm sure you can pull one minute or so of clean rap for your DH
              Jen

Comment

I haven't really fleshed out the whole map idea yet. One idea was to create 5 animated maps (one for each person, with a line that goes from place-to-place showing where they moved for undergrad, med school, residency, and fellowship). Or, I could just make one static map with lines from all their med school locations to PDX (to introduce how they all got here and became a group).
                I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be, but graduation isn't until June, so I've got plenty of time to work it out.

Comment

I made one for DH last year with iMovie. The maps were easy. I made a slideshow all the way through MD/PhD so I started with a map with an animation from hometown to med school and ended with one that went from med school to match location. I also had a map I made in google which had lines going from our location to all his residency interviews. I drew lines with Paint on top of the google map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

This looks cool: http://www.animaps.com/#!home
                    Jen

Comment

I might make the map with Google Maps (you can add various color/style pins), then take a screenshot and paste that into whatever you're using for the movie.
                      Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Working...
                      X