Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

whew...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whew...

Hello gang-

I just had to post that yesterday my condo went under contract and we were approved for a loan (non-contingent on the sale of the condo which just makes the condo sale icing on the cake!)!!

So, we get to go house hunting and not have to pay another $24,000 a year in rent for another two years. Yup- that's the amount of rent I pay in DC for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath townhouse four blocks away from the Mall (and four blocks away from an open air drug market!)- $2000 a month. Yikes!!! (and for those who are military- nope, the BAH doesn't even come close!)

So- my realtor faxed me the contract and I signed it and faxed it back and maybe this time, we can move and not kill a cat, be homeless for two weeks, move in with my parents and rent a house covered in purple '80's Miami Vice carpet....I can buy my own house and God help garbage men if there's anything remotely purple in it!!!

Later-

I must go to the gym and then continue with my utterly bizarre job.

Jenn

yeah Jenn!!!!! 24,000 a YEAR????? MAN.....that is unbelievable. I can't wait to hear how the househunting goes.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Here is hoping that the God's of real estate make all of this go smoothly for you.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Good grief, that's high rent! I was hoping D.C. might be better than Boston in the real estate market since there is always the possibility we could end up there post-residency. Oh well....

(We pay *only* $1800/month for a four bedroom apt. in what is considered one of the cushy neighborhoods of Boston - and close to downtown. I thought that was as bad as it could get - it appears I was wrong!)

Happy house hunting!

Jennifer
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Good for you, Jenn.....the devil in me wants to send you a virtual bouquet in honor of your imminent move.....perhaps of PURPLE flowers????

Happy house hunting!

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Wow, DC housing prices I do not miss. We lived in a house in Burleith (two blocks north of Georgetown Univ) during med school - 3 bdrm (well, 2-1/2 really - the third "bedroom" was so small that I could almost touch the opposing walls while standing in the middle ), 1 tiny bath, and detached one-car garage. Our rent was evidently a steal at $1500/mo!

Good luck with the house-hunting and moving, there are such beautiful areas out there!
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Yikes! $2K a month is an insane amount! Makes our market in Kansas City seem pretty darn good! Congrats on the sale and happy house hunting!
              Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Congratulations! That is great news!

Comment

I'm so proud of how un-sticker-shocked I am at your rent, Jenn!!! But I am shocked at Rapunzel's deal-- pretty good... Where are you thinking of moving? Are you going to stay in the District? Good luck with all that!!! Will the military help you move again, or are you "on your own" this time? Won't you have fun setting up a nursery!!!! (I have yet to set up a nursery myself, but anyway it seems like it would be fun, for those who have the space and energy!)

Congrats!
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

No sticker shock here. Renting bites. I'm living vicariously through you now.

Congratulations!
                    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Congratulations! Home hunting can be fun, but tiring.

Quick question - when the bank approved you for the loan, do they guarantee you an interest rate? Or does the interest rate get tied down later when you actually close? I'm doing the "happy hunting" thing myself right now just to get a feel for the market before I go to the bank. I've read somes articles lately that because the market has improved and unemployment rates are down, the Fed Reserve might raise interest rates. I hopefully want to lock in a loan before they go up.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgdess
                        Congratulations! Home hunting can be fun, but tiring.

Quick question - when the bank approved you for the loan, do they guarantee you an interest rate? Or does the interest rate get tied down later when you actually close? I'm doing the "happy hunting" thing myself right now just to get a feel for the market before I go to the bank. I've read somes articles lately that because the market has improved and unemployment rates are down, the Fed Reserve might raise interest rates. I hopefully want to lock in a loan before they go up.
                        You'd think that since we are selling and buying right now, I'd remember this...but I think that you have to have a contract on a house before you get your rate locked in. You get a pre-approval before that and then get a lender letter (for the purchase price) when you put a contract in. There is usually a 45 or 30 day lock-in period on rates -- so you would lock-in a rate 30 to 45 days before your closing date (when you buy the house and the loan funds the purchase). I think.

Comment

Well, posted too soon- the jerk backed out. But there's still time and we are still approved for a loan regardless. Oh well, such is life.

Jenn

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Jenn.

Comment

I'm late posting here so I can say congrats and sorry at the same time.
                              Luanne
                              Luanne
                              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
                              X