Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Nails splitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nails splitting

My nails keep splitting horizontally across the nail bed right at the spot where the nail grows out from the tip of the finger. I can't figure out why this is happening. I get a gel manicure every 2-3 weeks.

I've been really excited to finally have long nails, and I can't figure out why this is happening. Any ideas?

Kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

It's the manicure. The same thing happens to me with the Jamberry nails and goes away when I back off them
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

It's probably the way they're being filed.

Comment

The gel apparently can make your nails very dry. Try rotating with a regular manicure - and use some strengthener - and see if that helps. I can only really do two gel manicures in a row before they start to take a toll on my nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder if it has to do with the soaking them off? That stuff's not gentle.
          Sandy
          Wife of EM Attending, Web Programmer, mom to one older lady scaredy-cat and one sweet-but-dumb younger boy kitty

Comment

Originally posted by JDAZ11 View Post
            I can only really do two gel manicures in a row before they start to take a toll on my nails.

Same here. I have pretty resilient nails and gel does a number on them.

Comment

Thanks. I'll go to a regular manicure. I'm so bummed about my nails. There are 4 total!

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
              ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I did NexGen (the powder gel stuff) nails for my birthday last Tues. Took them off tonight because they were growing out. OMG NEVER AGAIN. 1.5 hours of soaking and prying and my nails are peeling so bad now from top to bottom that they look furry. And 1/2 a bottle of acetone. My poor unborn child. NEVER AGAIN.
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I'm feeling so lucky that my teen daughter is obsessed with nail art and practices on me. Almost makes up for any teen drama.

The one time we did gel nails, they sucked to remove. I wouldn't do that regularly either.

Angie
                  Angie
                  Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                  Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

ANY nail polish seems to make my nails peel after its removed but the no-chip seems to be even worse because I think they have to remove the top layer of nail to get it off.

Wife of a PGY-5
                    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Working...
                    X