Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fellowship Interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellowship Interviews

My spouse starts fellowship interviews next week (yikes!). If you've been through the process, did any of the hospitals have programs or offer assistance to help fellows' spouses find a job? Not sure if they even ask about family during the interviews.
    Married to a PGY5 ENT Resident and mom to two adorable dogs, Daisy and Max.

What fellowship? I think so much is speciality dependent.
    Brandi
    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

Hmmm, I've never heard of a program helping spouses find jobs. That's interesting. Have you heard of residencies doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
        Hmmm, I've never heard of a program helping spouses find jobs. That's interesting. Have you heard of residencies doing that?
        Me neither! Especially since fellowship is generally so short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=1725]bokelley[/MENTION] - ENT Head and Neck
          [MENTION=1924]OrionGrad[/MENTION] - Some of the hospitals in the system I currently work do for residency.

Comment

Fellowship Interviews

Do you have kids? Head and neck is one of those specialities with the super long cases, as I'm sure you know from rotations. As with most surgery, the primary concern of the fellowship program with respect to families is that the fellow is able to commit to working however long the program needs him to work. When we were in fellowship there were no hours restrictions. With head and neck you can plan on 100+ hours a week for the next couple of years.

I've never heard of a program actively helping the spouse get a job but maybe they have a job posting site as part of the GME program as a whole. With ENT there's probably only 1-2 fellows anyway- so within the ENT drpartmebt it's highly unlikely they think about spouses beyond making sure the spouses aren't going to expect the doc home for dinner or free to pick up kids from daycare.
            Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Nope, never heard of a program actively helping a fellow's spouse gain employment, regardless of specialty.

Also, the program legally can't ask about spouses/kids. They can offer the info about helping SOs find a job, but they can't ask if the candidate has one.

Comment

I've never heard of it either. Different specialty for us but I don't think it would be worth their time for a one year fellowship. I know some places have support groups for spouse's of residents and fellows that can be a good resource.
                Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

Originally posted by diggitydot View Post
                  Nope, never heard of a program actively helping a fellow's spouse gain employment, regardless of specialty.

Also, the program legally can't ask about spouses/kids. They can offer the info about helping SOs find a job, but they can't ask if the candidate has one.
                  I did not know that-- it seems to always be something discussed. Probably my dh brings it up?
                  Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Hey there! Just popping in to say mine is starting fellowship interviews this fall -- to match mid December. Does it seem to quick to you? I remember matching residency and thinking fellowship was *so* far away eek!!

Comment

No, we don't. I've never had an issue with his schedule before. Sure, I miss him during those rough ones, but I've always kept busy. Fellowship does freak me out a bit though, not knowing if I'll have the distraction of a job - at least one I'm good at!

Originally posted by peggyfromwastate View Post
                      Do you have kids? Head and neck is one of those specialities with the super long cases, as I'm sure you know from rotations. As with most surgery, the primary concern of the fellowship program with respect to families is that the fellow is able to commit to working however long the program needs him to work. When we were in fellowship there were no hours restrictions. With head and neck you can plan on 100+ hours a week for the next couple of years.

I've never heard of a program actively helping the spouse get a job but maybe they have a job posting site as part of the GME program as a whole. With ENT there's probably only 1-2 fellows anyway- so within the ENT drpartmebt it's highly unlikely they think about spouses beyond making sure the spouses aren't going to expect the doc home for dinner or free to pick up kids from daycare.

Comment

[MENTION=1242]diggitydot[/MENTION] - I know they legally can't - BUT - it comes up. I'm not counting on an official program to get a job next year, but I was just wondering if anyone found any support in that area.
                        [MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION] - It does seem to have gone quickly! I can't believe we were going through this 4 years ago. It seems like yesterday. I remember sitting in the auditorium, waiting for his name to be called to get his envelop, and it suddenly hit me how drastically things may change for us. I think I'm in a similar state of denial now!

Comment

DH's fellowship offered to give me a lab manager job before he matched there, but it wasn't something I wanted to do.
                          It does happen, particularly if it's a job they have easily available in the same institution.

Angie
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

My husbands first attending job tried to help spouses with employment when applicable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Needs

Comment

Our friends just went through fellowship interviews for pulm/cc and many of the programs were really nice and welcoming to her (the spouse) and her husband (the candidate). If I recall correctly, they invited her to visit the programs and at least one of them did offer some form of informal job search help - whether that was just word of mouth or pointing in the direction of applicable job postings, etc., I'm not sure. As with most things, I'd just go ahead and assume it varies based on program?
                              Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X