Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

med school residency vs. other hospital residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• med school residency vs. other hospital residency

So, in my searching for residency options for Russ, I've come across some residencies (from FREIDA online) that aren't at med schools....for example...the listing for internal medicine in Florida:
    • 1. University of Florida Program
      Gainesville, Florida 140-11-21-098
      2. Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education (Jacksonville) Program
      Jacksonville, Florida 140-11-21-509
      3. University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville Program
      Jacksonville, Florida 140-11-21-099
      4. Jackson Memorial Hospital/Jackson Health System Program
      Miami, Florida 140-11-21-100
      5. Mount Sinai Medical Center of Florida Program
      Miami Beach, Florida 140-11-12-101
      6. Orlando Regional Healthcare Program
      Orlando, Florida 140-11-31-102
      7. University of South Florida Program
      Tampa, Florida 140-11-21-104
      8. Cleveland Clinic Hospital (Florida) Program
      Weston, Florida 140-11-21-528

What is the difference between the two? Are they not both residencies? Are ones at med schools more competitive and better quality?

My biggest reason for asking...

there's a private practice residency in Orlando that I probably have a better shot of matching with, if Russ could also do a residency in Orlando that would be wonderful!

PS: Russ is now thinking Internal Medicine, possible subsp. in GI or Cardiology. I think the IM is pretty much for real now. He really likes *gasp* general practice type stuff.
    Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Hey Michelle,

I think it really all depends on the program. There are some residency programs associated with medical schools that are not great teaching institutions as far as clinical medicine is concerned. UF has great research programs and a good med school....but the quality of residency programs differs from department to department. Most hospital residencies are affiliated with a major teaching institution...When Thomas was at Geisinger, it was affiliated with Penn State. Since that time, the merger has broken between the institutions though.

From what I know about the Jacksonville program (we have friends that did residency (FP) and fellowship (GI) there) I'd say if you have the choice between UF and Jacksonville go with Jacksonville.

For more residency info from the perspective of the resident, check out http://www.scutwork.com Russ should be able to glean some perspective from there as to the quality of teaching/size of the program.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Michelle, he can do his residency at either med school hospitals or community hospitals. It's a matter of preference, I think. My guess is, though, if he's thinking about going into a fellowship later, especially ones as competitive as cardiology and GI, he'll want to go to a med school program. He'll have a better chance at making contacts, possibly getting into some research, and I think the perception is the programs are stronger.

That's what my bf said when he was looking at residencies (he matched into IM, also thinking about going into GI later)-- he and his classmates were kind of elitist about it-- "no one here wants to go to a community program." I'd encourage you both to consider all the programs individually-- taking into account lifestyle of the residents-- to find your best fit.

-Esther

Comment

Working...
      X