Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Contractor Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contractor Woes

We found out last week that a possum got underneath our house, tore down the insulation/contaminated it with fleas, and messed our moisture barrier. Estimate from the pest company to fix all the damage, pour concrete so he can't get back in, treat the fleas, reinsulate, and re-install the moisture barrier: $4,200. After checking Angie's List, getting coupons, etc., we got them down to $3,100 and I signed the contract yesterday.

Yesterday they removed the insulation, Monday they treat for fleas, and yesterday I got a call from the insulation company that they outsourced the insulation installation to and they're coming a week from tomorrow. I'm annoyed they didn't tell me that they outsourced the insulation.

I tried to get another quote but many companies don't do all the things they're doing so it was nearly impossible. So today, I got a quote for insulation installation/moisture barrier installation and it's HALF of what the other company is charging us. DH is so pissed. Other than treat the fleas, we could have basically gone with this other company and been totally fine (we could have scheduled them to stagger it all).

So my question is, can I pay them for the work completed and then tell them to get lost? I'd rather have the less expensive company install the insulation and moisture barrier. Or am I stuck because I signed the contract?
    Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

DH just got off the phone with those jerks. He told them we wanted a quote only for the removal + flea treatment (since that's already been done and is being done on Monday) and they want $1,500 for pulling down the insulation. $125/hour for two guys for 4 hours. WTH??? It's literally ripping down insulation. This is clearly why they didn't want an itemized quote.

Also, totally sketchy. The first guy said $1,800 and then when DH called the manager, the manager was all, "I said $1,500 to Jim so I don't know why he said $1,800"

We signed a contract so I don't think we can get out of the $1,500 because the work is completed although that price is outrageous. They're getting a horrific Angie's List review from me.
    Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

That sucks! I'd be inclined to stick with the original company once the work had started, but if they're willing to let you out of the contract and you're willing to manage the sub-contractors yourself, then you'll probably end up saving some money. Just make sure to ask about everyone's availability, since I know a lot of the best contractors/home services companies in our area are really backed up right now.

Comment

We got them down to $1,200 and they sent over a revised contract. I just feel like this interaction has totally soured me on this company (who is our long-time termite provider). They claimed they gave their "best price" and it was outrageous. Then when asked to itemize, they're charging $125/hour per PERSON to pull down insulation...I mean...did these people get some type of law degree in insulation? If I had known it was going to cost that, I would have done it myself in an afternoon.

Comment

Don't forget BBB and yelp when you write your review. We don't subscribe to Angie's list so I'd never see a review like that.
          Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Originally posted by TulipsAndSunscreen View Post
            We got them down to $1,200 and they sent over a revised contract. I just feel like this interaction has totally soured me on this company (who is our long-time termite provider). They claimed they gave their "best price" and it was outrageous. Then when asked to itemize, they're charging $125/hour per PERSON to pull down insulation...I mean...did these people get some type of law degree in insulation? If I had known it was going to cost that, I would have done it myself in an afternoon.
            I lol'd.

How frustrating! Hope you can sort it out soon.

Comment

Well $250 an hour to do insulation...I need to get into this business.

Comment

This thread is just strengthening my conviction that possums are the worst. Ugh.
                Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

We shoot them. They love our barn and cat food. They're dangerous to my horses. ByeBye opossum.

Sorry about your experience. I loathe dealing with anything house/contractor related. I hope they do the job right and well.
                  ~shacked up with an ob/gyn~

Comment

We had a very good electrician come to our house recently, and even he only charged $75/hour. $125/hour to rip out insulation really is ridic.

Comment

Wow, what a PITA
                      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                      X