Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Joint Birthday Parties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Birthday Parties

DS1 and DS2 have birthdays that are 3 days apart. How do you handle birthdays for siblings when they're so close? Joint parties? Separate parties?? I'm sure they wouldn't mind joint parties now, but how long until they get sick of that and want their own? And, asking family to drive for two separate parties a week apart seems unfair.
    Their birthdays aren't until August, but I'm just curious what other people have done.

My boys are 7 and 9 and their birthdays are TWO MONTHS apart and we've done joint parties for them simply because of the hassle factor! They still don't seem to mind at their ages. Just our experience...
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

As an only child (and daughter to another only child), all this sibling stuff is totally foreign to me...

Comment

My niece and two nephews all have birthdays within a month or so of each other. Now that they are older (12, 10, and 8) my sister usually does a kid party for each of them and then one family party with grandparents, aunts, uncles etc. When they were younger though I think I remember them sharing a party sometimes.
        Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

The family I nannied for had kids who were born in Dec and Feb. They would do one party in January until the kids turned 6 and 8. They would do things like a kids gym, chuckECheese and what not that allowed for a lot of kids. Once the eldest was old enough to have a very small party with a few select friends they stopped the joint parties.
          -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
          Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
          Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I have 3 kids born within 5 days of each other. I really try to avoid birthday parties. We have had a couple joint parties with the older two. We have never lived near family so it has always been friend parties when we had them.
            Needs

Comment

My brothers are 4 days apart and had joint parties all the time until they were older. No big deal.
              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

My brother and I are 1 day apart...actually, he was born 12 hours before my 4th birthday. We had joint parties until I was about 8
                Then i didn't want a bunch of little boys at my birthday party so I started having girls only slumber parties.

A side note, it makes me sad that Lambie probably won't have slumber parties but with two older brothers, I just don't see how parents would feel comfortable letting their daughters sleep over.
                Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                  My brother and I are 1 day apart...actually, he was born 12 hours before my 4th birthday. We had joint parties until I was about 8
                  Then i didn't want a bunch of little boys at my birthday party so I started having girls only slumber parties.

A side note, it makes me sad that Lambie probably won't have slumber parties but with two older brothers, I just don't see how parents would feel comfortable letting their daughters sleep over.
                  Once they are old enough for slumber parties, you could probably have the boys spend the night at a friends house the night of the birthday party.
                  -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
                  Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
                  Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

My sisters and I have birthday 10 days apart. June 1, 10, and 20

When we were younger I had parties by myself and around 8 I didn't want anymore parties so it was just my sister until the other sister came then they had joint parties. As adults though, my parents would take turns between 1 and 10 and 10 and 20 with sharing of a birthday cake.... Now that the middle child turned 21, 2 days ago she got her own party and cake lol. We all hit "milestones" this year but we try to change up the cakes. Like Baskin Robbin cake, or a fruit tart cake , etc. it gets boring FAST having cake every 10 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

Lexi's had slumber parties even with an older brother. No parents have mentioned it.
                      Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquisher View Post
                        Lexi's had slumber parties even with an older brother. No parents have mentioned it.
                        This, I've never had anyone say anything. It would be sad to say you can't have slumber parties because you have brothers or even send the boys away. That's craziness imo.
                        Tara
                        Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Same here with older brothers. The only time I wonder about it now is when the older has a pack of college boys and the younger has a group of high school girls in different parts of the house. I keep a closer eye on the groups then...but frankly, they all get along fine and we've never had any weirdness or parent complaints.

Angie
                          Angie
                          Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                          Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

I'm a fraternal twin, so my brother and I always shared birthdays growing up until we were teenagers. We even shared cakes until we truly started developing our own interests and wanted more of those reflected in our celebrations. When we actually started asking for separate parties my parents kept them small (I'd have a few friends over for a slumber party, he'd go to an arcade, stuff like that). If we wanted to do something"big" we had to do it together, like hosting some friends at a water park for the day.

When we were still sharing, my parents would make an effort to take us each out for dinner separately around the time of our birthday. Each parent would take one kid to their favorite restaurant (I swear I chose Boll Weevile like 5 years in a row--embarrassing). It was all fun!

Comment

Working...
                            X