Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Good summer reminder (Kids and pools)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good summer reminder (Kids and pools)

http://busymommymedia.com/drowning-really-is-silent/

http://busymommymedia.com/lessons-i-...lmost-drowned/

Saw this posted on Facebook. Always a sobering reminder.

One thought though--I'm on the fence on life jackets/puddle jumpers. Baby J still hates the water, but N has always loved it and was always in a puddle jumper. However when she started swimming lessons last year, it became really apparent that wearing it had given her WAY too much confidence and kinda messed with her learning. Better to keep the kids in floaties for safety, or dedicate yourself to working with them one-on-one without floaties all the time??
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Good summer reminder (Kids and pools)

I'm in the camp of either working with kids one-on-one without floaties or committing to swim lessons (private make the fastest progress). I say this because there will be times when a child falls in a pool/body of water without a floatation device and they don't have the tools to save themselves. If you do opt for floatation devices, please go for a coast guard approved life vest, and NEVER WATER WINGS or puddle jumpers. If a child lost consciousness (someone jumping on them, exhaustion, inhaling water while laughing) or even if they just need to rest, those water wing-type design HOLDS THEIR HEADS UNDERWATER!!!!! This is due to the hydrodynamics of children's bodies in the water and where those devices put a natural pivot point. A well-fit life jacket will support the head up (with holding onto the shoulders) to rest and will more easily support back floating.
    As a side note, I've never put my kids in any type of floaty ever, and both of them have gone through the over-confident stage too so it's not necessarily the floaty usage. Get her in more swimming lessons to give her skills to back the confidence. As a swim instructor, it's what I call the "scary period" and most of those kids go onto being VERY good swimmers.
    Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We are not a huge fan of floaties and children should only be in items approved by the US Coast Guard. With young children at the pool I am always within arms reach of my child, even if they have a life-vest on. I think the recommendation is no child under three should be without a life vest. We didn't follow that rule but did have one on one supervision when we had littles and then another person designated to oversee the pool. I've seen too much pool related tragedy so I'm kind of a spaz about pool safety.
      Tara
      Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

We are a no floaty family too. It's a lot harder at the pool but worth it. C has had 4 private lessons and is almost swimming because she didn't have to work through the weird body position stuff that floats teach them (very vertical in the water vs horizontal how you're supposed to swim).

I have also let my children walk off the steps with me right there. After repeated warnings of "don't step off, you can't swim", I do let them fall and have their heads go under. I immediately scoop them up but I do want them to understand that they can't swim and thus shouldn't push it.
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

We're about to have a neighborhood pool for the first time this summer. So how do you handle pool time with 2 littles w/o any floaty devices? Are those inflatable things babies can sit in w/ a sunshade bad, too?

Comment

Honestly I don't think I could handle the two I have safely. DH would have to be there. My mom has a pool so swimming happens at her house with extra help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Handling two without help can be harrowing. Last summer my youngest was barely a year, and his favorite game in the pool was to fall forward face first, with no concept of or ability to stand himself back up. Meanwhile my then-3-year-old was a running, jumping wild man who could get away from me quickly. We had to have lots of serious talks with the older child about safe behavior and staying nearby. He actually really enjoyed the "game" of being the lookout who helped alert me when the baby tipped over. But the second he failed to listen to my directions or observe the rules, we packed up and went home. I'm generally more of a pushover and give lots of second chances, but it was so terrifying for me I had no problem strictly enforcing expectations for safe behavior, even when it meant we only got five minutes of swim time after the hours of prep it took to get us all there, dressed, and sunscreened.

Comment

I just didn't do the pool unless I had one on one supervision when I had littles at the pool. That meant less less swimming but always safe swimming and much more fun! Our pool has life guards but I consider them there only for an emergency and I am still responsible for keeping my kids safe 100% of the time.
                Tara
                Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Our pool has great safe steps that they can play on in the water. I keep both within arms reach and visual range (without having to turn my head). They know (well the older one does) that failure to do this means we go home immediately. I also use a visual pattern of forcing myself to alternate my gaze from child to child on a pattern. It's exhausting but I do it and it's fun. Our pool also has lifeguards but I don't trust them.

That's why I was so pissed a few weeks ago when a mom sat outside the pool and her 3 year old was also trying to play with me and engage me. Get in then pool lady!!!!!
                  Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                  Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Working...
                  X