Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Flying next week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying next week...

My parents are taking us to San Francisco and Sonoma next week and we are so pumped and insanely grateful.

Problem is the whole plane thing. I'm not a great flyer, the concept bugs me and I get anxious, but not enough to keep my from flying to places (it wasn't keeping me from London or Paris!) but you know I start thinking ridiculous improbable thoughts about the slim chances...and then because I'm thinking them I worry that I'm jinxing myself. I'm superstitious that way.

Please remind me all of the reasons why it's insane to be anxious and how safe flying really is!

Thanks in advance to all of you flying veterans and those who are fearless about plane travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Isn't flying safer driving? You'll be fine! Can you have a glass of wine or have you talked to your doc about anti anxiety meds?

Sorry your anxious!

Wife of a PGY-5
    Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

You'll be fine! Have an awesome time!!🍷

Comment

I've got the Xanax queued up! Still I manage to freak myself out the days leading up. Weirdly I'm less anxious at the airport/during flight.

Wife, support system, and partner-in-crime to PGY-3 (IM) and spoiler of our 11 y/o yellow lab

sigpic

Comment

Anticipatory anxiety is the worst! Maybe if you catch yourself worrying you could imagine a glass of wine and cheese plate instead?

Comment

I fly almost weekly. And I finally caved and got Ativan (Benzo like Xanax) so I could stop freaking out about it.
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I'm no help. I'm just like you except I flying almost monthly or twice a month. I usually think of all the bad things that can happen and prepare for worse case scenario and think of what I might do. Before take off (thanks to watching that Bruce movie) I think about all the people I love and I text my parents and hubby and just let it be

wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

WPW, have you considered breathing exercises? Yea, also known as meditating. I've been doing it to combat just my generalized anxiety and it's working. I'm sure you know them but here's a couple. I think the key is to start practicing even when you aren't anxious so that when you are you're already accustomed to calming down:

+ inhale 1,2,3,4 exhale 1,2,3,4 inhale 1,2,3,4,5 exhale 1,2,3,4,5 etc
                + inhale all of the peace and safety in the world, exhale all fears and anxieties
                + inhale counting to 8, exhale counting to 8 then hold your breath 4 counts, repeat

Have a great time on your trip!!

Comment

+1 to breathing exercises! Therapy and mindfulness helped a ton with my anxiety (especially flight anxiety), and I could bore you tears writing about that, but suffice to say breathing is way helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
                    +1 to breathing exercises! Therapy and mindfulness helped a ton with my anxiety (especially flight anxiety), and I could bore you tears writing about that, but suffice to say breathing is way helpful.
                    no, do share!

Comment

I was going to jump in with the breathing too! LOL

For things I'm really anxious abut, I tend to close my eyes and focus on my breathing. I breathe slowly in through my nose and imagine myself blowing the fearfulness out through my mouth. A lot of times, I walk myself through some sort of a visualization while I breathe, like imagining myself a giant tree on the edge of a stream. I imagine some of the fearfulness written on my leaves. Then I just watch as those leaves fall off into the stream and are carried away ....

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I am definitely a veteran with the "square breathing" exercises and the relaxation techniques for flying. With the Xanax I should be good to go. After 1 mg of Xanax before boarding the plane from London back home I was out the entire flight. I mostly work myself up with the "what ifs" and superstitions - i.e. "Omg you just said "plane crash"/ read an article about one/bought a book based on one/etc. now you've jinxed us." So I'm trying to placate myself with all of the "it's far more dangerous to xyz than fly" facts!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X