Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Getting the gasoline smell out of leather upholstery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the gasoline smell out of leather upholstery

😡
    😢

It's been a terrible Monday. The worst. In the middle of a bad day, Andrew called me to say his car broke down in the middle of our street. I came home from work and discovered that he had run out of gas. I raced to the gas station with our gas can, filled it up, put it on the passenger seat so that I could make sure it wouldn't spill (stupid, stupid, stupid) and drove home. I filled his tank and went back to work. At the end of the day, I came out to my car, jumped in and instantly smelled gasoline. I had to drive home with the windows open.

How the hell do I get gasoline smell out of leather? I am a hysterical mess. If Thomas finds out he'll be pissed beyond belief.

I tried leather cleaner but that did nothing. I then used 2 tbsp of vinegar in a cup of water and gently washed the leather with that. Better? Maybe. But it smells really vinegary.

I'm about to compulsively run to the van and check again.

It's a small area. The gasoline didn't spill but had dripped down the side of the can on one side. It wasn't a lot. (But it was enough)

Tell me there is something I can do. Tell me the smell will dissipate. Tell me I'm not the stupidest person on the planet for putting it on my seat.

*help*

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

😰😭. I just checked. The vinegar smell is gone and it smells like pure gasoline on the seat.

Comment

Baking soda is my go-to, but some sort of alcohol-based leather upholstery cleaner may help. Google it ASAP, you can't be the only one to encounter this, promise!
      Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I'd just let it air out for awhile. My dad is a mechanic and gasoline isn't the worst he has spilled in his car. Eventually the smell goes away.
        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I have officially cleaned it with leather cleaner, vinegar and water, and dish soap. I now have coffee grounds sitting directly on top of the spot.

The dish soap did get rid of some of the odor. Aidan and I spent 30 minutes letting it soak in and then absorbing as much as we could with dry towels. The towels took on some of the gasoline smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
            Eventually the smell goes away.
            That's what I was hoping.

Thanks for that!!!!!!!!!!!

Kris

Comment

I just joined a "Cleaning Science" group on Facebook this very evening. >.< So I searched their archives for "gasoline" and the consensus was to use degreasers -- Simple Green, "Purple Power Industrial Degreaser", Pinesol are some of the common recommendations (mostly for spills on clothes). There are *lots* of questions about gas can spills in cars, "My dad did this to my brother. It took lots and lots of baking soda. And time to air out," "Take it to a detail shop, they'll be able to get it out," and "Charcoal works great for gas smell" (they were talking about actual briquettes, but I think the activated charcoal that's meant for odor absorbing is even better.)

You are not the first to do this! And the smell does go away! Hang in there, and I'm sure Andrew is very grateful for the assistance!!
              Alison

Comment

I starting to worry about all these solvents on your leather! I'd let it air out and call the detail people. They will know what to do.

Angie
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post
                  I starting to worry about all these solvents on your leather! I'd let it air out and call the detail people. They will know what to do.
                  Agreed! After I copied all those quotes and walked away, I was like...wait, leather. >.< At this point with what you've already tried, I'd do activated charcoal and/or the detail people and/or waiting it out. Let us know how it goes?
                  Alison

Comment

I just remembered I had a gas can in my Routan a few months ago when DH ran out of gas in it. It didn't really spill either but still smelled for a day or two. So really, I bet it will go away. Just keep Thomas away for a bit!
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                    X