Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The "free" car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "free" car

Alex's Kung fu master gifted him a 1993 Toyota Celica that had been sitting in her garage for 2 years that was in "perfect" condition. It only has a little over $100k miles on it. She doesn't pay him for all of his teaching and she literally insisted that we take it. Although it was a nice gesture, I didn't feel we could accept it and told her as much.

She and her husband texted and called us repeatedly and we finally agreed to pick it up. They are both very old-school Chinese and had been very offended by our refusal.

We picked up the car a few weeks ago and immediately noticed that the engine was very loud, the driver's side seatbelt was broken and the gas gauge was also broken. I had to buy a new battery immediately because it was dead.

Fast forward to yesterday. I took the car to a very trusted repair shop to have it looked at/ repaired. Getting the car safe to drive is costing me $3000.

😱

I have no choice though.

Obviously, this is still cheaper than buying him a clunker, but .... It's a lot of money for a free gift! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Wow! I don't know what to say!
    Luanne
    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Wow! Thanks for forcing the half broken car on us?
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

Originally posted by ides View Post
        Wow! Thanks for forcing the half broken car on us?
        That's how I feel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

You can always junk it and tell them the mechanic declared it unsafe for Alex to drive and you know they wouldn't want to endanger him. You can probably get a much safer car or lease for 3K. Think if it as an economic and safety decision, no guilt allowed.
          -Ladybug

Comment

I'm with ladybug.
            Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Can't you sometimes donate cars for a tax write off, too?

Comment

I like ladybugs idea. Dh got a safe older car for 2k in fellowship off craigslist.
                Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

for 3k, it's safer/cheaper to buy a newer used car.

Comment

Working...
                  X