Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The push to hire administrators in medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The push to hire administrators in medicine

This is a really relevant topic for us now. Our hospital has begun a huge push to hire administrators regulating every physician group. Initially, they were hiring MD/MBA's.

Now the hospital is actually pushing the MD/MBA's out, replacing them with pure administrators in what they describe as being part of the "new culture". All physicians are now required to attend a 2-day MBA-led conference about the "new culture". The days are unpaid. I said it. UNPAID. If you refuse, you can look for another job. (They have already made it clear that they know we will want to stay because we have a house/kids).

How will they pay for new administrators? They are removing physician bonuses (but obviously not a administrator bonuses.).

One of them came to dh last week and said they want him to hire 3 more ID docs so they can offer around the clock care. The practice literally supports 1.5 ID docs, and they do provide 24/7 coverage already!

The hospitalist group is filled to capacity at more than 40 providers. They have reached that point where salaries are decreasing. The administration wants them to hire 20 more and they removed the 3 physician administrators from the group and replaced them with non-physician administrators.

It's crazy scary.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Huh. In one of the threads about universal health care I was surprised by the differences I see between y'all's experiences in these larger corporate hospitals and how things work at our little publicly owned one. I think it makes me happy with where we've landed. :\ I'm sorry it's such a clusterf*ck for you guys. Of all the times to be putting the doctors' needs dead last...ugh.
    Alison

Comment

It's not a happy time for us.

Comment

Our experience here in a megahospital, owned/managed by a physician board is also very different. My husband does have mandatory business style classes on current coding, standards etc. each year, but because everyone is salaried these aren't unpaid, just part of the job.

Angie
        Angie
        Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
        Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

That was our experience Angie until recent changes in management.

Comment

unpaid is probably not legal but i doubt you can do anything about.
            as for hiring more id so they can provide round the clock work - i think it's hire younger/cheaper people to replace the more expensive senior people.. that happen to 1 guy i know. it was obvious to me but not to him.. i told him.. why are you hiring when the bus manager says to complain about expenses.. it didn't make sense but he was drinking the cool-aid. i guess it couldn't be help --too much of ego person.

Comment

That's what it is [MENTION=4325]metroguy[/MENTION]

The administration is actively going to physicians aged 60 and is asking when they are retiring so that they can be replaced. Many docs we know are retiring early. Others are looking around.

The new docs being hired aren't getting the benefits we have either. We have an awesome retirement package that would be hard to walk away from. Newbies fresh out of residency aren't getting it. They won't miss what they never had I guess.

Times are changing.

Comment

The new docs being hired aren't getting the benefits we have either. We have an awesome retirement package that would be hard to walk away from. Newbies fresh out of residency aren't getting it. They won't miss what they never had I guess.
                This. There are really tiers of benefits now. People working the same job with different retirement packages etc.
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

That's not specific to medicine though, that's been happening everywhere for years

Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I know. I'm just stating what we are going through now. In any industry this is upsetting.

Comment

Working...
                    X