Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

In need of good family fun ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish we had made this sacrosanct from a young age. Like, unless there is a blizzard, we're hiking every Sunday. Period. I feel like training is important.

We're struggling with this too.
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Great ideas. I was giving this some thought after I saw the thread and was thinking something like everyone helping make a special dinner that they all like. Like the make your own pizza or ice cream sundae ideas suggested. I'm impressed with everyone who has older kids that mentioned trying to keep these kinds of things going even after the schedules start to get crazy. I haven't done anything like this yet with our kids but I should probably get started. Keep up the good work. I think trying to get everyone together and doing something with as many can/want to participate is great.
      Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

We're still doing family movie nights, but watching more Pitch Perfect, Zoolander, Goonies, classics type stuff. Todd and I are too tired on Friday's to referee game nights. They inevitably devolve into fights somewhere along the family-fun line. I blame Todd's family. Games are an socially acceptable form of aggression in their polite, midwestern family. I never fully appreciated the American Gothic painting until I met my midwestern in-laws. Imagine playing games with them. It's like the hunger games but with plastic matell pieces and a lot of projection and unexpressed feelings.
        -Ladybug

Comment

Originally posted by Sheherezade View Post

The zoo, though. The zoo is ALWAYS a winner for our group, at any age. Everyone loves to walk around outside and look at animals.
          This is totally true for us as well!

Also sporting events are great fun. Minor league ball or anything not too pricey. Those not into the sport are always happy to enjoy a treat in the stands.
          Tara
          Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

I think the time for weekly things like that has passed with the ages of your older ones. They are becoming adults and moving on to their own lives. ( As sad as that is!!) I cant remember but I guess your older two still live at home? That might make it easier, but still 9 to 20 is just too big of a gap. Heck, here 20 and 13 is sometimes too much of a gap! What about a monthly activitiy like a bowling tournament ( or some other sport everyone enjoys). Do you still have a cabin I remember hearing about? What about gathering there or if you sold it at a cabin somewhere for the weekend and play games, go hiking, etc. I could see things like that happening once a quarter or at most once a month when they are that age. Just a thought. It is kind of sad when the family unit breaks up some. But it is completely normal.

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
            It's the age differences that make this so hard: 9, 12, 16. 19, 20

No one wants to play the same game, eat at the same restaurant or watch the same movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was thinking last night and hoped my post didn't come across harsh... I really like that you do the Friday nights, and you could still do it for the younger 3 and probably should. But I'm just not sure you can get 7 people's schedules to synch every week when 4 of them are adults. Does that make sense? For whole family stuff, I still think getting away somewhere, even if for a day would be the best solution for family "bonding time."

Comment

Just had another thought, what about doing a monthly family service project? For example, our tradition has been to take the whole family and get kids off of the Salvation Army tree and then go and buy the gifts and deliver them back to the mall and go out to eat. Unfortunately, the boys won't be home from college to do that this year.

We've decorated a room together at a women's shelter, served on mission trips together, etc We normally go out to eat or something afterwards. It has been a great bonding experience.
                Last edited by spaz; 12-01-2015, 07:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                X