Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Cost of milk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of milk...

Over two weeks here in Kansas City it has gone up more than 60 cents/gal. That really sucks when you consume like we do!!

I know what you mean... We literally drink about 5 gallons a week. My DH and my son are the major offenders. With my toddlers, though, it seems milk is their main food source... Kool-Aid may be cheaper though!
    Peggy

Aloha from paradise! And the other side of training!

Comment

Yikes. I paid $3.18 a gallon for skim today. That's WAY up.

Comment

We live 30 minutes from the dairy capital of North America and regularly pay $3.00 a gallon. Got to love urban living.

Kelly
        In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Wow, I hadn't even noticed! We drink a lot of milk here, too! My sister told me yesterday her husband gets mad at her when she spends over $5 for organic milk!!! I can't imagine spending that much for a gallon of milk.
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Holy cow! (hahah, I made a cow joke in a milk thread!)

Last time I bought my husband milk (I don't drink the stuff) it was $2.19 or something near that.

Do we have low-quality cows over here in Oregon or what?

Anyone need me to SHIP them milk?

Comment

I just talked to my mother in Seattle. She said she picked up some 1% at around $2.50, but the woman stocking it said she should buy it now because tomorrow it was going up to $4.00. 8O Apparently the dairy producers were unhappy with the low prices they were getting, so they scaled back production. It's going to affect the price of cheese, ice cream, etc. throughout the summer.

Comment

Huh, still $1.49 a gallon where I live. Maybe that will change soon...

Comment

I just paid $3.19....I've been paying around $2.69 That is quite a jump. I wonder why the cost of milk has suddenly gone up!

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona
                    I wonder why the cost of milk has suddenly gone up!
                    I'd heard on the news a few months back that they were anticipating the cost of milk (and other dairy products) to go up this summer. A large part of the reason is apparently the new emergence of the high-protein diets... Farmers are getting better prices for slaughtering cows for market than they are for raising them to produce milk, causing a shortage of milk-producing animals.

I just paid $2.59, I'm just waiting for it to go up now. Luckily we don't go through that much milk in our house, but if it affects ice cream prices too then we'll be in trouble!
                    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Milk prices here are in the $2.50 neighborhood (for a gallon of skim milk).

I remember a couple of years ago (when we lived in TX) I could buy milk on sale for $.99 per gallon of skim. It was sticker shock on foods such as milk and beef (we could regularly buy ground beef on sale for $.99/lb or better in Dallas) when we moved up to the Northeast. I'll have to ask my mom if the price of milk and beef has risen in Texas as well....

This does impact my grocery bill somewhat since I buy about 8 gallons of skim milk per week. I personally consume about 4 of those gallons by myself - no joke.

Jennifer
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

We don't normally buy milk by the gallon, so out of curiosity I wandered over to that part of the dairy section to check it out. $4.49/gallon. I have no idea if/how much that's gone up lately.
                        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
                          $4.49/gallon.
                          What??!! 8O Wow, that is a lot!!
                          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I agree that is a crazy high price for a gallon of milk! Maybe it was a high-end organic product? If milk here was that expensive I'd be bankrupt in about a month.

Jennifer
                            Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                            With fingernails that shine like justice
                            And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Nope, definitely regular old milk. Our tiny grocery store doesn't even carry all the things I would consider basic staples, let alone organic products. Cost of living is definitely a top reason we want to move out of the city as soon as med school is over. On top of that groceries are a particular problem in our neighborhood.

Right now we're waiting with bated breath for FreshDirect to start delivering to our neighborhood ( http://www.freshdirect.com ). Their prices are definitely way better than what we're paying now, even with the delivery charge. They're supposed to expand to our zip code in the next 3-6 months, at which point we plan to become avid customers. People we know who live in other zip codes and already use them say they really are as good as they claim.
                              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                              X