Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Clothes shopping ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothes shopping ...

I need some new summer clothes and have a rather tight budget. I woud LOVE to hear suggestions on WHERE you guys (and gals ) find your clothes ... whether it be online (links please), stores, catalogs, etc. I am curious!

I personally like Kohl's for clothing bargains. They always have really good sales, and if you sign up for their in-store credit card you get additional discounts and savings opportunities. It is the only in-store credit card I have because the deals you can get are so good.

Happy shopping!
    ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
    -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

I love Kohl's also, but the nearest one is 2.5 hours away, so I don't get to go there much. I am pretty unglamorous......I check Wal-Mart for t-shirts and Riders jeans/shorts, Target for cute sweaters and shorts, Old Navy (if I can find stuff that isn't too tight or jeans/shorts that aren't too low-riding) and Sears. In March, I got several Land's End things from Sears that were on clearance for between $5 and $8 each......quite a savings. I get tops from Penney's also, but only when they are having sales. I shop at Dillards only occasionally and only when they are having great sales. I also look sometimes at a place called Ross Dress for Less, which is like Marshalls/T.J. Maxx, but I don't usually find stuff there. I love Eddie Bauer (nearest one is also 2.5 hours away) and I check their website (they have a separate outlet site, too) frequently. If I had more money, this list would expand considerably, believe me!

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I used to love shopping at Old Navy. Unfortunately I think the quality of their clothes has fallen and most of the styles they carry are just too teen-pop for me now (can't do the butt-crack-showing jeans and the belly-baring tops). It's too bad - their prices are so wonderful.

Jennifer
        Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
        With fingernails that shine like justice
        And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel
          Unfortunately I think the quality of their clothes has fallen and most of the styles they carry are just too teen-pop for me now (can't do the butt-crack-showing jeans and the belly-baring tops). It's too bad - their prices are so wonderful.
          No kidding! I wanted some less expensive, pregnancy "transition" period jeans and looked there. If I wasn't standing up stick straight (i.e. not moving like a normal person would), my crack was hanging out. It is too bad because sometimes they have cute stuff -- it just fits wierd.

I like the rei.com outlet for casual stuff.

Comment

I vote for Kohls too. I recently updated my wardrobe (something I haven't done in YEARS) by checking out their end-of-season sales. I was able to get very expensive suit pants/jackets, etc that were originally $50 + for $5 and in some cases $2.50 a piece. I had to go back and do a lot of checking and waiting (My husband has now forbidden me from entering the store though Everytime I went in I spent $20...which added up!).

I like the adventure involved in finding a good deal...you can't beat their end of season prices...I feel so good when I find something I love for a cheap price...and because the quality is good, the clothes stand up to repeated washings...something my Wal-Mart duds do not.

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I get a lot of work stuff from Banana Republic (only when it's on sale). Their pants are the only ones that fit me right and things are usually good quality. I got an Italian leather belt there yesterday for $9.

I like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, and Filene's Basement-- especially for shoes and work out clothes. Often I don't have the patience to go through the racks looking for stuff, though.

We recently got a couple H&Ms. You can get really cute stuff really cheap, but most of it is of poor quality, so I don't get anything that I expect to wear for more than a season.

-Esther

Comment

Most of my wardrobe comes from:

Eddie Bauer: I shop there less and less, though. They used to be like 70% dowdy items and 30% cute, and I loved and got most of my wardrobe from that 30%. The past couple of years they seem to be moving toward about 90% dowdy and I'm finding a lot less stuff I like there. I hope the trend reverses, 'cause I miss the old EB.

Old Navy: I don't buy casual clothes there for the reasons previously cited, but I was shocked to stumble upon a whole section of work-appropriate clothing there (they only ever seem to advertise their casual clothing). It's not terribly durable stuff, but since I work at a desk, I'm not very hard on my work clothes at all. They're my favorite source for A-line skirts, button-down shirts that are tailored in at the waist, that kind of thing.

H&M: More work clothes and also if I need, say, an outfit to wear to a wedding. Bumblebee is totally right about it not lasting long, though.
                Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I think Kohls is great too. They are almost always having a sale and if you get on the mailing list like someone else mentioned its easy find what you want before you go in. Some stuff is too extreme for me, either too teenage oriented or too old lady-ish for me (swimsuits, for example), but its always worth a look.

I feel the same way about old navy as everyone else does. Their prices are great though and I like to look through their baby stuff. I'd suggest going to an outlet if you have one nearby. Once in a while I can find a shirt for myself at really low prices

I also really like JCPenny. If you can hit a sale there, you can walk away with some GREAT deals. After Christmas my husband and I went, he found nice dress khakis for 6 dollars (he got three pair) and I found many tops for around 7 or so. I'm on their email list as well since I don't regularly go and won't unless there is a sale.

Comment

I also like Kohls. They have great sales. Last Fall I bought summer things on the $5 and under rack. My jeans I get from Gap because they fit well, I usually wait for a sale. My work clothes are scrubs and I get them through a catalog.
                    Luanne
                    Luanne
                    wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

I guess I still act like I am in college...atheletic shorts. and sports T-shirts.

What does it feel like to buy "nice" clothes?

Comment

When cost is an issue (which it pretty much always is ), I shop at Target and Old Navy. I do spend a little more on things like jeans (the ones at Old Navy and Target are always too short) so I go to Gap. I love shopping at Banana Republic, J Crew, Ann Taylor, and Harold's, but I don't buy from there very often (except for maybe the sale rack).
                        Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

If you live in the Northeast then Filene's Basement is totally the way to go.

Jon bought a beautiful pair of cashmere dress slacks there for around $45 this last January (we're talking NICE pants that usually cost well over $100). He also found some Kenneth Cole dress shoes for about a third of their usual price (which Kenneth Cole can get kind of expensive). I definitely vote for Filene's Basement if you have one near you. (BTW If you don't have one near you then check out a Foley's - Filene's and Foley's are virtually identical and owned by the same company. The Basement is their outlet - so a Foley's outlet should be comparable.)

If you can get to a Banana Republic outlet when there's a sale you are bound to find something that's very nice and a great deal price-wise.

Both Eddie Bauer and J.Jill can get on the frumpy side but they are both worth checking for sales (and their outlets often have some really nice stuff).

J.Crew can also have some fantastic deals during the sale periods.

I bought a wool skirt at Ann Taylor this last January for $15. I had coveted it a couple of months before but couldn't justify the $75 price. It was an outstanding deal on a beautiful skirt.

If you can wait until Memorial Day you could catch a lot of stores with some really great deals. The Fourth of July will be even better because it's mid-summer and they have to start thinking about unloading all of their warm-weather clothing.

Jennifer
                          Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                          With fingernails that shine like justice
                          And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

I love TJ Maxx and Marshalls, but only if I have time to dig. I like Old Navy and apparently I THINK I am thirteen and have my crack hanging out everytime I drop something on the ground (incredibly classy for a 32 year old!) But my new favorite is TARGET!! I just went and got the cutest summer shirts (one for $9 and the other for $11) but my favorite is the Isaac Mizrahi stuff, a lined pair of LONG (so rare) linen pants were $24 and a seersucker suit was $49. His line of shoes is so cute too.

I agree with that Banana Republic has good sales, but if you see something cute you better buy it ASAP, cause it will be gone. Where I get all my suits for work however is at Benetton, they are not cheap (relatively speaking) but most of their suits are machine washable (key) and their pants fit perfect which is hard to find when you have a 33" inseam.

I will have to try this Kohl's....one just opened around the corner and I have never been there. I better hide my credit card

Comment

I recently purchased some new clothes because my fat butt still doesn't fit into prepregnacy clothes. I shopped at Old Navy, and Kohls for t-shirts and shorts. Kohls has nice t-shirts for $6 each. I fell for the butt crack jeans at Old Navy and I am regretting them! I was in a hurry with screaming children. I recently found a few sale items at Ann Taylor Loft. That is my new favorite store.

I don't normally like shopping at Kohls because they have so many clothes and I find it hard to manevuer through the store. I especially like them for kid's clothes and DH likes some of their casual shirts.

Jennifer
                              Needs

Comment

Working...
                              X