Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Tablets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablets

I'm considering getting a tablet computer. We have never had one so I'm behind the eight ball on what is out there and what is good. Can you type on it, with all fingers like a keyboard, or is it more like phone pecking? I want one mostly for using in the kitchen for recipes and browsing the internet. Any advice, suggestions or ones you all recommend?
    Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Hubby and I have iPad Minis and our kids have a hand-me-down iPad regular size. I like the Mini for the stuff I use it for (reading Kindle books, reading PDF knitting patterns, looking at the internet in bed, having a recipe open in the kitchen.) Typing is a lot like phone-pecking, except the keyboard is bigger and you can hunt with two index fingers or thumbs at the same time. DH has a Bluetooth wireless keyboard for his, though, with actual proper keys, if that kind of thing would be better for you.

We have an old school Kindle Fire and it's just not versatile enough. I hear good things about Surface if you're not already too far gone into the world of Apple.
    Alison

Comment

We only have one Apple device in our house and it's my phone. Dh just got a surface pro 4 for work. The Fire looks tempting but the reviews for version 10 are not good. So far I'm going to look further into the iPad and Surface.
      Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

DH has a Google Nexus 7 tablet and really likes it. You can use one of the swipe-style keyboards so all you have to do is swipe your finger from one letter to the next to "type" a word. It's way faster than pecking.
        Wife of PGY-4 (of 6), cat herder, and mom to a sassy-pants four-nager.

Comment

My DH has a Galaxy Tab with a bluetooth keyboard and likes it, if you want another Android option. DS plays with a 1st gen iPad that still works great, which is something I appreciate about Apple products - they seem to keep working forever.
          Julia - legislative process lover and general government nerd, married to a PICU & Medical Ethics attending, raising a toddler son and expecting a baby daughter Oct '16.

Comment

My kids have a 2 year old kindle fire hdx that is actually still working very well...but the interface is just awful. We are still trying to figure it out. I much prefer the ipad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
              My kids have a 2 year old kindle fire hdx that is actually still working very well...but the interface is just awful. We are still trying to figure it out. I much prefer the ipad

This totally. Volume control is especially stupid.
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

We have iPads which we really like. We got the kids kindle fires for Christmas. I don't love them but for the $35 we got them for they are awesome and will serve the kids purposes of playing games and watching videos. The picture and sound are not nearly as good as the iPad and they are harder to navigate (although I do like their parental controls and we were able to really limit was is available which makes it easier to navigate).

Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

I decided on an iPad Air. They are $100 off at Best Buy. The Air2 is $125 off. I'm excited to open it up on xmas

Comment

Working...
                  X