Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The secret of life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The secret of life

DH's 92 year old grandma flew to the Twin Cities this weekend to visit us for mother's day. 8O She has to be the spriest 92 year old I have ever met. We had a fantastic time and my son adored the attention. I think that it was good for all of us.

We talked about her life growing up on a farm in Tennessee as the oldest of 14 and then raising her infant son by herself while her husband went to war. She was widowed when my FIL was five 8O and made ends meet by taking in boarders and doign their ironing. In other words, this woman had a really hard life and yet is so grateful for everything in her life. (A lesson that I should really take to heart.)

Anyway, she told us that the secret of her longevity is: 1) eating green beans all the time; 2) walking every day; and 3) praying every night. I think that I'm going to try this formula. May we all live to be this healthy at this age! I feel so fortunate to have met this woman.

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Neat story Kelly! Would it be possible to substitute a different green vegetable? I hate green beans!
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Dude, eat the beans! I wouldn't mess with the formula--It seems to work. I'm already planning for her to fly up again after the baby comes in September. She won't commit yet, but I'm hoping that she'll try. I'm grateful that she lent so much perspective to our lives.

Kelly
      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

That is very uplifting, and I'm off to buy some beans.
        Luanne
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

What a nice story! Luckily I love green beans, although I have a hard time convincing DH to like them. Maybe if I tell him this story ...
          ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
          -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

That is a great great story. It not only made me laugh but it made me think about the fact that I could handle this.

1. I love green beans. (How can you not like them?)
            2. I love to walk. (Everyone should!)
            3. Praying is easy!

Yay for a great plan! Thanks for sharing that!

Comment

Are you writing down her stories to save for your kids? She sounds fantastic! I wish someone had done that with my great-grandma. They have those wonderful books that guide you through how to write 'lifestories', and I'm working on one about my family.

Comment

Kelly thanks for sharing. She reminds me of my grandmother. She now has Alzheimer's and I miss her so much. It is great that you got to spend time with her. Sometimes we all rush around and worry about things that really don't matter; when you hear the story of someone who has had a truly hard life and remains joyful it is inspiring. I had green beans last night.....
                Angie
                Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
                Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Working...
                X