Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

News of the weird...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News of the weird...

I just found out today that on Monday, I'm going to be having dinner in a funeral home. Never thought I'd use "dinner" and "funeral home" in the same sentance, but there you go. I work with a hospice group that has a monthly in-service meeting, and this one is going to be at the funeral home, with dinner followed by a presentation by the funeral director.

I suppose it could be worse--cocktails at the morgue, maybe? 8O

Wow- won't that be a wierd experience.

My ex is a fire fighter and a local funeral home recruited him and some buddies to go pick up the bodies of the newly deceased (nursing homes, hospitals, hospice, etc.) They were so matter-of-fact about it (which is probably why they were recruited, they had already seen everything)- they made 50 bucks a body, plus mileage. bizarre.

Jenn

PS- he ended up marrying the daughter of the owner of the funeral home, so I don't see any income issues in his future!!

Comment

That is strange. Jenn when I was in high school my boyfriend's grandfather was a funeral director, and their house was next to the funeral home. Just too wierd for me.
      Luanne
      Luanne
      wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

8O Sort of....morbid. I guess though with the success of 6 feet under and the new one on one of the TLC-like channels this may become a regular new fad.

kris
        ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

My aunt and uncle used to live in a funeral home....yes, in....they owned it and just lived in the upstairs part and had the bodies laid out downstairs....my mom couldn't visit them...she couldn't handle the "bodies."
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

I grew up in a small town where everyone kind of knows everyone, and my family knew the family that ran the local funeral home. My mom is a licensed hairdresser (although she hasn't done hair for a living since her early 20s) so they call her to come do the bodies' hair whenever their regular hairdresser is on vacation or sick. I remember being really freaked out when she first told me this when I was like 12. "Do you have to touch the dead bodies??" "Well it's kind of hard to do someone's hair without touching them."
            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
            X