Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Fellowship Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellowship Question

Ok, so I feel like we literally just got out of the match drama and now all of a sudden DH has started the narrowing down of fellowship locations/specialty. He wants to be in Dermatopathology, which of course is competitive to both Dermatologists AND Pathologists.

We would love for his fellowship to be in Birmingham since by that point we will have children (hopefully) and their grandparents would be close by to help us if we needed it. I wasn't really worried about it until YESTERDAY when he dropped the bomb on me that he has to start applying SECOND YEAR for these positions. AHHHHHHHHHHH. What in the world? Who came up with these systems?

Anyway, if there is anyone who has any experience with the fellowship process, I would love to hear some advice/help/reassurance that it is NOTHING like the Match.

PS I am so happy that I found this group. It's really helped me in this transition to residency. Love ya'll!

um.. well... I can't tell you ours was nothing like the match because... well it was pretty much the match all over again for us. DH flying out to interviews, making a rank list, waiting until match day, and then going where we matched (which was all the way across the country for a year with a newborn). But then there is DH's co who started doing the match process but then was offered a fellowship outside of the match and didn't have to have all that stress. How long would his fellowship be? Our was just a year, so basically, the moment you land in fellowship you should be searching for his big boy job. The Medicine journey is a bitch.
    -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
    Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
    Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

I think it varies greatly between specialties. In radiology, there are like 6 or 7, but only two are a match...of course it looks like one of those two will be his pick Again, only a year, so it isn't the end of the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Lots of variation. DH is doing a surgical one so it's different. I will say though that applying 18 months before you finish isn't unusual. He matched this summer for a fellowship for next summer (that he began applying for in sept 2015)
        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Mine applied Dec 2015 and Match is Oct 2016, also for a July 2017 start.
          Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Yes to the above, if possible do your best to settle in your current location. You'll be there for at least 3 years, correct? It often works in your favor but seems like something you can't count on. After my DH started getting interview offers his current program offered to keep him for his 2 year fellowship. You're fined if you pull out of the match so his program only interviewed him, he didn't accept any other interviews (25+ offers came in on every corner of the country) and they ranked each other #1. It was too good to be true, we never could've asked for it.

You're teaching, right? Has the school year begun? How are things going?

Comment

It does vary by speciality. Ours was thru a match -eras actually and was done 2 years in advance.
              Wife to Hand Surgeon just out of training, mom to two lovely kittys and little boy, O, born in Sept 08.

Comment

I agree with all the above that it really depends on the specialty, but also where you want to be. I just went through match for fellowship with DH (he started last month) and we had to move because his specialty was really in demand in our last city. So a lot can depend on how much other people want to be in the city you are trying to match in. I know this probably isnt much of a comfort since I remember being completely stressed by the fellowship match. However, after all the interviews I just told myself that it is what it is and that really helped. You can't control the match, but you can support your spouse to try to give them the best shot at getting a good match. Good luck!!

Comment

I hope the ladies have helped manage your expectations. That's the only thing I would caution, as a couple who just went through fellowship match and ended up unmatched. Make sure you have plan B. But, that's why it's so nice to have so much advance notice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                  Grace

Comment

Fellowship Question

We did a fellowship and it was a match. Interviews, match list and match day. It was not something I never ever want to do again. For me it was about being heard and expectations for fellowship. Yes it is only a year but it is a year of your life as well.

Hang in there. I can't say much else because most of the time I need a giant kick in the butt by these ladies.
                    Brandi
                    Wife to PGY3 Rads also proud mother of three spoiled dogs!! Some days it is hectic, but I wouldn't trade this for anything.

Comment

[MENTION=4422]MAPPLEBUM[/MENTION] Yes ma'am! It's going great! I have a wonderful, sweet group of little's this year. = ) Private school is a whole new world, but I'm learning!

Comment

THANK YOU EVERYONE! It helps to have such support! = )

Comment

we're in the middle of fellowship applications now (for neuroonc 2018 fellowship) she just did an away rotation at a local program and is going to CA for an away rotation next month. It does seem crazy early!!!

However, neuroonc is not a match, so we don't have to wait for a match day but we do have to worry about bs like exploding offers.
                          - Eric: Husband to PGY3 Neuro

Comment

Working...
                          X