Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

SUVs with Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUVs with Kids

I know I've posted car-related questions a handful of times over the years, but with another kiddo on the way in April I'm not sure what to do about my car situation. I currently have a Volvo XC60, which I LOVE. I love the size, I love how it drives, I love it all. But I'm concerned about having 3 kids in car seats (2 convertible seats, 1 infant seat) squished in the second row. I know it can be done, but I'm not sure how functional it will be. Here are my options, as I see them. Please tell me what you think based on your experiences!

1) Get a mid-size SUV with 3rd row seats, like a Volvo XC90 or Audi Q7. The problem with this is these don't have captain seats in the second row, so getting DS1 into the 3rd with 2 car seats installed in the second row wouldn't be seamless. Also, I don't know if it would be good to have DS1 all the way in the 3rd row, hidden behind a bench seat 2nd row (could I even see him back there?). The upside to this option is that driving-wise I'd feel comfortable in the vehicle (not too big to drive). I love my current Volvo, so getting an XC90 doesn't seem like it would be a huge change.

2) Get a much larger SUV with captain chairs in the 2nd row, like a Chevy Tahoe or Yukon Denali.
    From a car seat perspective, it seems like this would be ideal. The problem with this option is I'm afraid of driving such a big vehicle. Maybe I'd get used to it? But the only time I've driven one it felt WAY too big to be safe. FWIW, DH favors this option, and he thinks I'd get used to the size in time. I also thought my current Volvo seemed big at first, so maybe he's right.

3) Keep my current setup and just have 3 kids in car seats in the 2nd row.
    DS1 will be in a booster seat soon (probably within 6 months of the baby arriving), so maybe that would create a little more space back there? This is also the cheapest option, and it's a car I already know I love.

I'm not interested in getting a minivan right now, so that's out.

So, what do you think? Has anyone driven with 3 kids in the 2nd row for an extended period of time? Will I get used to driving a much larger vehicle eventually??

I have had either a Suburban or a Yukon XL since 2000. The baby that made us take the plunge to an SUV is now 15 and a freshman in high school, but I am having a hard time thinking about giving up my big SUV. I can't speak to the 3 car seat issue, but you will definitely get used to driving a larger SUV if that is what you choose. We love ours. It has been awesome for long road trips (which we really like to take) and for moving kids to college (and bringing them home again). It has also been great for car-pooling through the years. All three of my boys are over 6' tall now. The oldest is 6'5, middle is right at 6', and the youngest is 6'4 and still growing. DH and I are 6'1 and 5'8. We have not had trouble riding comfortably as a family at all in our Yukon XL, and have learned the hard way (when renting cars on vacations) that all SUVs are not created equal in this regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I was thinking more about this in the preschool dropoff line this morning, and I think the crux of my question is: Do kids take up less space as they older (no more car seats, smaller boosters, etc.) or more space (physically larger, more school stuff)? If I'll need more space in the car when they're 8, 11, and 13 than when they're 0,3, and 5, then I guess I have to get a much larger SUV (or minivan).

Comment

I have a GMC Acadia with the captains chairs and it would work awesome if we had a 3rd kid because A could sit in the back and buckle/unbuckle herself. Mostly mine sit in the middle in the captains' chairs unless we have another kid with us. I am thinking of going to an XC90, the new MDX or a Q7 in the next few years myself which are comparable to what I have but a bit smaller. I've had several friends tell me I'm nuts, I shouldn't be going down in size but I definitely won't be going up - I'm petite I just don't like driving a bus. They've redesigned the Acadia in the last few years - mine works well for our purposes, might be worth looking at.
        Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

I can't speak to an SUV, but I love the sliding doors on my minivan. I never have to worry about my kids opening the doors and slamming them into another car.
          Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

[MENTION=915]SuzySunshine[/MENTION], Thank you for mentioning that! I think I'm going to take DH and look at the Acadia this weekend. Function-wise, it seems like it might be a good compromise between all the things I'm looking for. My only hangup (and this is ridiculous, I know) is that I've gotten spoiled by all the nice interior features in my Volvo. I think the Acadias have everything I need/want (like Apple CarPlay, etc.), but it will be helpful to see the inside of one in person.

Comment

I drive a small SUV (2001 CRV) with 3 kids. DS2 will be 1 next week and is in RF Britax Marathon, the other two are FF in radians. The bickering gets old, but I love my car! We'll likely get a minivan next.
              Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

Sliding doors man.

You hate the idea until you drive it and it makes your life infinitely easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

[MENTION=1924]OrionGrad[/MENTION] I have the Denali version and I'm pretty sure its fully loaded. Its a 2012 so it doesn't have ApplePlay but I'm sure the newer ones, the finishes are very nice. My husband's audi is still nicer but it is a GMC.
                  Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
                    I can't speak to an SUV, but I love the sliding doors on my minivan. I never have to worry about my kids opening the doors and slamming them into another car.
                    Ha! I HATE DRIVING A MINIVAN but you are so so so right! My sloppy, randomly-moving, awkward kids never throw open the door into the car next to us!

Comment

I told DH about the sliding door issue (it really would be nice!) and now he's convinced I should get the Tesla SUV with falcon doors. So basically no help at all. 😀

Comment

Sliding doors, power loft gate = minivan love.

I'm short. My kids are big. There's no way I could reach across to get to a middle seat if they were all in one row to put everyone in. I can barely get the bucket seat into the base with a minivan let alone an SUV. It's so nice to be able to stand inside the minivan with the door open and pop his seat in and out.

C is almost 5 and still requires help to tighten/untighten her seat. I am keeping her in a 5 point harness for quite a while longer (why change, she doesn't care?). I love that I can hop in and out SO easily.

We have the girls in the back, R in the passenger captain (m can't have a car seat RF behind him). It's awesome.
                        Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                        Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

My XC60 is small enough I can definitely reach in and tighten a center car seat from the outside (and I can turn around to untighten it from the front seat), but the first time I'm leaning across and I get accidentally kicked in the face (which is bound to happen), I'm sure I'll be ready to get a new car immediately. [MENTION=1768]scrub-jay[/MENTION] is giving me hope that we might be able to make this work, for a while at least.

I know a minivan is the practical and logical option, but there's something in me that just can't do it. Plus, we go up to the mountains a lot and I need to have something thats AWD or 4WD.

Comment

Fun fact: Toyota Sienna's are AWD
                            Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

My Sienna had 4WD option.....
                              Mom of 3, Veterinarian

Comment

Working...
                              X