Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Sweet Gift Ideas for Our Doctors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Gift Ideas for Our Doctors?

Hi! I recently joined this forum to commiserate about the struggles of dating a physician - my gf is an Internal Medicine PGY-1 (so she just started a month or so ago). She's been extremely stressed out and I was trying to come up with small "care package" type of gift ideas. Cute things (a "free massage" coupon from me), practical things (maybe good comfy socks?), not-so-practical-but-still-nice things (flowers?), etc. Do you guys have any thoughts? Things your doctors liked and appreciated? Anything is welcomed and appreciated!

Edit: *I forgot to mention that we're long distance
    PhD student. Dating a PGY1 Internal Med resident. Feel free to say hi! Yes, that is my dog

Along your sock idea, my DH loves his compression socks. He also appreciates tins of Altoid mints. What about a gift card to the hospital Starbucks / coffee shop? I'm not a huge fan of stuff like Blue Apron because it takes so damn long to cook the food, but a Trader Joe's gift card could be great so she can get some yummy premade meals, snacks, and treats.

So thoughtful

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

My husband just got his first pair of compression socks (from the guy he reports to) and is surprisingly delighted by them.

Long distance is so tough! And intern year is so tough as well. I don't envy you guys, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Anything that says you're thinking of her would be lovely I'm sure, even just her favorite candy and a nice note...I like R&D's idea for a grocery gift card, or maybe a gift certificate to a nearby restaurant or takeout place? I'm thinking flowers are a little more impractical than is worth it -- she's likely not spending much awake time at home, and probably doesn't have a real station or desk at work to enjoy them either. :\ If you know anything about her love language that can help inform you.
      Alison

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
        Along your sock idea, my DH loves his compression socks. He also appreciates tins of Altoid mints. What about a gift card to the hospital Starbucks / coffee shop? I'm not a huge fan of stuff like Blue Apron because it takes so damn long to cook the food, but a Trader Joe's gift card could be great so she can get some yummy premade meals, snacks, and treats.

So thoughtful

I actually looked into compression socks the other day! I'll definitely check that out. They're on their feet all day so I figured nice socks would be a good idea. Yes I usually get her gum I think she mentioned the resident room having coffee and food so she always has snacks during her shifts, but when I'm in town (thankfully long distance for us is only from LA to SD), I try to stock her fridge with premade meals, snacks, and treats. Thanks [MENTION=4468]rufflesanddots[/MENTION]!!
        PhD student. Dating a PGY1 Internal Med resident. Feel free to say hi! Yes, that is my dog

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
          My husband just got his first pair of compression socks (from the guy he reports to) and is surprisingly delighted by them.

Long distance is so tough! And intern year is so tough as well. I don't envy you guys, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Anything that says you're thinking of her would be lovely I'm sure, even just her favorite candy and a nice note...I like R&D's idea for a grocery gift card, or maybe a gift certificate to a nearby restaurant or takeout place? I'm thinking flowers are a little more impractical than is worth it -- she's likely not spending much awake time at home, and probably doesn't have a real station or desk at work to enjoy them either. :\ If you know anything about her love language that can help inform you.
          Thanks [MENTION=985]spotty_dog[/MENTION]!! Just added compression socks for my list! I never would have guessed that compression socks would be so comfy haha.

Ah I will say we've had our fair share of struggles adapting to long distance + residency stress (+ night shifts - her first rotation) over the past few weeks, but we're chugging along so far

Yes I was thinking about sending her a mix of her favorite candy and snacks, but I wasn't sure if all of the sugar would be a good idea? I guess I'll leave it up to her to ration! Ohh a giftcard to her favorite takeout place is a wonderful idea! Yes flowers are a bit impractical sadly :/ it would just be more for the thought than anything. Good point about the love language, I usually try to touch base on all aspects, just to show I cherish her in all ways

Comment

Don't forget the power of a sweet letter in the mail. I can imagine coming home after a long shift and finding something besides bills would be absolutely delightful. My now husband and I sent each other silly letters back and forth long distance in med school (I probably wrote 5x as many) and it was really fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
            Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

I totally forgot about this until now, but when my DH and I were long distance, every time he was on call (basically pulling an all nighter) I would send him an email with a few bad jokes. Just something to make him laugh and show him I supported him. Ah the honeymoon phase.

For some reason the following bad joke stuck with us, and kind of explains our sense of humor:

What did the ghost say to the bees?

BOOBEES!!!

Yes. We are so mature.
              -L.Jane

Wife to a wonderful General Surgeon
              Mom to a sweet but stubborn boy born April 2014
              Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!!!

Comment

We used to do letters too. DH was organizing over the weekend and found some. 😍

Comment

Sweet Gift Ideas for Our Doctors?

I agree with the sweet notes. As an intern, she's likely getting emotionally, intellectually, and physically drained. Just the knowledge that you support her and care for her is huge. If she's a chocolate fan, keep her stocked with her favorites.
                  Wife to PGY4 & Mother of 3.

Comment

I like the idea of some cute compression socks. Maybe gift cards if she does ever go out for coffee, or to some of the places she goes to with the other residents? Maybe a gift card to a restaurant that you could both get takeout from, that you could find time to eat together, so it's sort of like you're on a date to the same place? We used to send long e-mails too. Do you have any inside jokes? Maybe a necklace or something that would remind her of you, but it wouldn't be obvious to anybody else?
                    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

Ah thank you @TulipsAndSunscreen, @rufflesanddots, and [MENTION=1768]scrub-jay[/MENTION]! I love that idea! I've done this in the past and left her letters to find at home/in her bag/etc, but for some reason hadn't thought of doing this yet?? I'm getting on this ASAP!

Comment

Originally posted by L.Jane View Post
                        I totally forgot about this until now, but when my DH and I were long distance, every time he was on call (basically pulling an all nighter) I would send him an email with a few bad jokes. Just something to make him laugh and show him I supported him. Ah the honeymoon phase.

For some reason the following bad joke stuck with us, and kind of explains our sense of humor:

What did the ghost say to the bees?

BOOBEES!!!

Yes. We are so mature.
                        Hahaha that's hilarious! Thanks [MENTION=1712]L.Jane[/MENTION] - I'll definitely have to borrow that one I'll let her know you're to thank when she starts getting some of my favorite cheesy jokes throughout the day

Comment

Originally posted by alotofyarn View Post
                          I like the idea of some cute compression socks. Maybe gift cards if she does ever go out for coffee, or to some of the places she goes to with the other residents? Maybe a gift card to a restaurant that you could both get takeout from, that you could find time to eat together, so it's sort of like you're on a date to the same place? We used to send long e-mails too. Do you have any inside jokes? Maybe a necklace or something that would remind her of you, but it wouldn't be obvious to anybody else?
                          Thanks [MENTION=4205]alotofyarn[/MENTION] I'm looking into compression socks - searching for the right pair! I hope she likes them. Yes I think I'll get her a giftcard to our favorite restaurant (it's our little spot ). I really like the necklace idea. I have a general idea of her taste, but she's quite particular so I'll have to subtly find out which one she likes

Comment

Working...
                          X