Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Camping...or glamping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping...or glamping?

Anyone else have camping plans this summer?

My childhood involved a decent amount of car camping trips, a few RV and a few backpacking trips, and I have a lot of happy memories of that. I also did a little camping in college, but it always seemed a bit awkward and it wasn't something I really actively enjoyed. But since our kids have been big enough we've kind of slowly been getting back into it.

So, this week has been camping galore: first DH took DD8 into the back country for a night (it was only about 2 miles each way to the point where they camped, but adventurous enough), then yesterday he took DS10 (a little further, about 4-5 steep miles each way) and I car camped with DD. It was really pretty fun and I'm kind of thinking of taking DS on an overnight backpack myself! And not feeling like it's QUITE as insane for us to plan to camp in a field when we travel to attend a wedding later this summer.

Along the way we've seen people who enjoy different styles of camping with different amounts of enthusiasm. So...who camps??
    Alison

Camping...or glamping?

Growing up we camped in an RV or stayed in a trailer my grandparents had in the mountains. I loved it. DH was really into backpacking. Then med school happened and we moved to the Midwest. Now that we are back in the PNW we are trying to get back into it. We went a couple times last year and the kids really enjoyed it. DH is still in the mindset of a backpacker but we are working to transition to drive up tent camping with a few more luxuries and accessories with the kids.

I don't think we are going to be able to make it much this summer since DH has no weekends off and we have a 3 mo old. Maybe as the kids get older though depending on where we end up for the job. I do prefer a trailer to the tent but we are too cheap for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by civilspouse; 07-14-2017, 09:45 PM.
    Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

We both really enjoy camping but haven't made time for it in residency. I hope we get back to it in attendinghood.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
      wife of a PGY-2 anesthesiology resident & mother of one adorable baby girl

Comment

Love camping! Tried to convince DH we could camp for my cousin's wedding this past weekend. He vetoed that. I suppose 3.5 months is s tad young!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        Grace

Comment

I did some camping as a kid and even took teens camping as a counselor in my early 20s. I've never super loved it, though... I always associate it with being cold and having a runny nose and being dirty and uncomfortable. Maybe if I had the right gear? It sounds so fun, and I do love a campfire...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gcuthbe1 View Post
            Love camping! Tried to convince DH we could camp for my cousin's wedding this past weekend. He vetoed that. I suppose 3.5 months is s tad young!
            LOL. Earlier this year my brother took my niece camping at 3 months -- in Alaska. Overnight low temp of 33 degrees.
            Alison

Comment

Originally posted by rufflesanddots View Post
              I did some camping as a kid and even took teens camping as a counselor in my early 20s. I've never super loved it, though... I always associate it with being cold and having a runny nose and being dirty and uncomfortable. Maybe if I had the right gear? It sounds so fun, and I do love a campfire...

Generally speaking, if something requires tick repellent, I'm out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
              Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Love camping also! Family business was building trailer tents. My dad designed the classic fold out design and was bought out. Just back from two weeks camping, loved it but intimacy when your whole family is within 1.5m separated by just canvas.......nope....
                Using Tapatalk

Comment

All of our trips used to revolve around camping but over the last couple years we've moved away from it. It's partially because we have more disposable income but I think our goals for vacation have shifted. It used to be to fly out somewhere and explore. Now our number one goal is to feel more rested at the end of the week. It would be nice if that changed after training, but for now we're just so dang tired.

DH is obsessed with the idea of converting a transit carrier to a camper van. It will very likely be one of his first projects post training.

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                    LOL. Earlier this year my brother took my niece camping at 3 months -- in Alaska. Overnight low temp of 33 degrees.
                    Damn! Family size sleeping bag? Lol I was just like well i don't sleep well anyways, might as well be in a tent!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    Grace

Comment

Camping...or glamping?

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                      Generally speaking, if something requires tick repellent, I'm out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                      That made me laugh! I totally get it. There is probably nothing I hate more than ticks!

With that said, I love to camp for a single night. Two max. After that I need indoor plumbing.

I'm taking my boys backpacking for the first time this August. Thinking we'll stick to a shorter, busier trail. Plus, I'm still a total baby about the grizzly bears here. One of my friends was fake charged by one last summer and it scared the pants off me just hearing about it.

Last edited by Bittersweet; 07-17-2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweet View Post
                        That made me laugh! I totally get it. There is probably nothing I hate more than ticks!

With that said, I love to camp for a single night. Two max. After that I need indoor plumbing.

I'm taking my boys backpacking for the first time this August. Thinking we'll stick to a shorter, busier trail. Plus, I'm still a total baby about the grizzly bears here. One of my friends was fake charged by one last summer and it scared the pants off me just hearing about it.

Yeah, one night of car camping sounds about right

Comment

I'm a 1-2 nights out kind of person. Then I like a shower.

When we climbed Kili, they actually heated a little water for us to take "camp showers" (basically a few gallons to scrub gross places and wash your hair). It was amazing and I felt like a huge diva but it was awesome!

Married to a Urology Attending! (that is an understated exclamation point)
                          Mama to C (Jan 2012), D (Nov 2013), and R (April 2016). Consulting and homeschooling are my day jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bittersweet View Post
                            You're a rockstar!! I took DD last summer when she was 7. But it was like faux backpacking...we started at a trailhead about 3 miles from home, hiked about 2 miles, then camped at a campground with running water and a pit toilet. I have to say, even though the trail was familiar and I took the majority of the equipment, it was still a lot for her -- her pack plus sleeping bag, pad, change of clothes, and a little water still added up to probably a quarter of her body weight. O_O

It's fair to be nervous about bears, for sure. The area we camped (and DH and DS backpacked) this week has had high bear activity and I was a little concerned even though my campsite was busy as hell and had a bear safe for our use.
                            Alison

Comment

When I was younger, my parents had a pop up camper and we went everywhere. The Grand Canyon, Florida Keys, all over Oklahoma, Branson, Disney World, etc. Then when I was a teen, we took an ill-fated trip to Gulf Shores a year after a hurricane hit. The campground was still a mess and the 7 of us had grown and were really just too big for one camper. That was the trip that transitioned my family to condos.

However, my parents just bought a trailer and I'm hoping to go out a weekend or two with them. It's super nice! They camped at Disney while we stayed in a hotel. As nice as it is, it is still more work than I'm willing to deal with. You have to be somewhat mechanically inclined or you are hosed. And there is always the inevitable breakdown of some sort.

But tent camping? With small children? Hell no. With just my husband? Maybe. But I think I'd prefer a cabin. I think we are cabin people.
                              Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X