Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

The Reagan Funeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reagan Funeral

Did anybody else watch? I watched it in it's entirety. I thought it was a very fitting end for a President. It also struck me (and was later commented upon by one of the newscasters) that it's amazing that in the audience were President and Mrs. Ford, President and Mrs. Carter, Pres. and Sen. Clinton, and both Bushes and the Former and present First Ladies. Maybe it's cheesy or overly sentimental, but really, that's Democracy at work; proof that the system really does work.

Jenn

PS- and of course, with my thing for men in uniform...it was a beautiful sight with those spectacular examples of Boy Next Door. (and yes, there IS a height requirement to be in the Old Guard. They have to be at least six feet tall!)

I didn't watch....but did see that Gorbachev paid his respects. I thought that was pretty classy.....since that will be one of the more important items Reagan will be remembered for.

Comment

I watched part of it as we waited for Joel's ortho appt. this morning, and then a little more after we were home. Quite a lot of "pomp and circumstance", and well-deserved, too. I never thought a whole lot of Nancy Reagan when she was first lady, or for a while afterwards, but anyone who walks the road with a spouse who has Alzheimers gets my respect. My grandpa had it and it is such a wicked disease, to forget everyone who you love, and who loves you. It was neat for my kids to see the ceremonial stuff. The base was closed down today, but the General here made the hospital hold clinics as usual.....there was a lot of bitterness about that! DH is on call anyway so it didn't make a whole lot of difference to him.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I've been watching off and on since the processional to the Capitol on Wednesday. It's been good for me--I've not been very proud of my country lately, and this funeral, with its elegant ceremony and solemn dignity has gone a long way to helping me feel a bit reassured. It's kind of a rememberance of a time gone by when things were better; when we had more hope and idealism. One thing they said on CNN really stuck with me: they were saying that during his administration there were horrible partisan political battles by day, but when the day ended they all got together for a drink and a laugh, and that doesn't happen anymore. How very sad. He did some great things and some terrible things as President, but no matter which we recall most, he is definitely one of the most memorable Presidents.

A very dear friend's father had Alzheimer's, and we watched him steadily decline over a period of three years. I'll always remember what the doctor told us about the final stages--that the patient no longer even recognizes that a chair is a chair, and the world becomes an alien and terrifying place, full of once-familiar things and people that now seem sinister and frightening and might cause them harm. For someone who lives in their mind as I do, that's about the worst thing imaginable.

I've never been a real fan of Nancy Reagan, but I do have a lot of respect for her great courage in staying by his side through it all. Her actions really bring home what the "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health" part of the marriage vows should mean to all of us who say them.

Comment

I agree about that final farewell. God bless her. She had to be exhausted after that very long, sad day. We were both crying, too.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I watched all day and evening yesterday. It was very poignant, I admit I cried - and I never liked him, I felt like the only good thing about him was he was once a Democrat ( seriously, not trying to start a debate here). The fact that it was a state funeral, historical, etc. kept me glued to the television.
            Luanne
            Luanne
            wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Working...
            X