Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What to do with old breast pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with old breast pumps

Yes, I’ve Googled this, but I haven’t found any answers I like so far...
    What should I do with my old breast pumps? They’re not closed system, so I don’t think I can donate them. I’ve seen some places that say you can disassemble them and send the parts back to the manufacturer for recycling. Is there anything else you can do? Something that seems less wasteful? I’m so attached, it almost makes me want to cry to tear it apart or throw it in the trash. 😓

For me, the best thing was giving them to a pregnant friend as a spare. I was gifted 4 used breast pumps - only 2 worked well enough. Then one of them peetered out. So that one that was left - I was able to leave at home for times I needed to pump at home (not often). I could leave my new one at work and not have to lug it back and forth.
    Working mom of almost 5yo (Sept 2013) boy S and 2.5yo (Feb 2016) boy J and old lady fur baby. Husband is 2nd career PGY2 in Radiology. I'm on social media too much and really need to read and practice yoga more.

Comment

I guess I could see if any friends need one. It just feels kind of weird since you’re not technically supposed to share them and since most people can get new ones for free through their insurance companies now. At the very least I guess I could give away all the bottles and spare parts I never got around to using. I wish there was some kind of women’s shelter or group that could use them.

Comment

I was going to try to give mine away or free on Craigslist or FB. I’ve seen people selling them on there. I don’t want anything for them, especially since I got them through insurance and you aren’t supposed to use used ones. Like you said it seems wasteful though to just throw away a perfectly working thing and I’m sure there are people without insurance that would be happy to have them. Thanks for the reminder, we weaned a while ago and I could clear out some space getting rid of pumps, bottles, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Wife of Anesthesiology Resident

Comment

You could ask your local Catholic Charities. They usually have a couple of women's shelters that need donations. I've seen people suggest it several times but don't know if they actually take them.

ETA I've also seen people give them away for free on FB.
          Last edited by MrsC; 07-16-2018, 10:03 AM.
          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I’ve heard that a lot of charities won’t take the open system ones, but it’s worth checking locally just to make sure. If I can’t do that, then I’ll post it to a local moms group on FB, like [MENTION=1521]civilspouse[/MENTION] suggested. I’m sure there’s someone who could use it.

Comment

I gave one to my SIL and one to my sister, and they used them as backups.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
              Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

You can try giving it to someone who might need if you think donating it won't do.

Comment

Working...
                X