Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Camping suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping suggestions?

Andrew is going to boy scout camp from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning and I will be chaperoning him...I have to take the baby with me too which means I will be sleeping in a tent with a 7 month old. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? The temps here last night were 42F 8O

I think it is going to be a ton of fun, but I'm just concerned that the baby will get too cold.

Also, I've never been camping before (unless you count girl scout camp WaHaNaHa in the 4th grade ) so for those of you with experience....is there anything special I should take with me?

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Will the car be nearby incase it gets too cold and you need to warm up? (Also helpful if it rains).

Make sure you've got good sleeping bags and DEFINITELY get those little mats to put underneath you- that half inch of the ground makes a big difference.

Have a great time! I'm jealous- No one here wants to go camping with me.

Comment

We just got back from camping in New Hampshire last weekend!! Over night was 55 degrees, so not nearly as cold.....We were toasty though on mats in two sleeping bags zipped together to make a double bed sized space. In the dead of the night, I threw an extra comforter over everyone, but we would have been ok without. You will probably want one though if you are getting down in the forties. I would advice sleeping in long stretchy pants, socks and sweatshirts. If the baby has those fleece footed sleepers, this is the time for them. Also, bring extra socks--I didn't want to take mine off in the early morning hours and they got all wet with dew from the grass before I found my shoes under the blanket jumble. Have a great time!!!

Angie
      Angie
      Gyn-Onc fellowship survivor - 10 years out of the training years; reluctant suburbanite
      Mom to DS (18) and DD (15) (and many many pets)

"Where are we going - and what am I doing in this handbasket?"

Comment

Make sure you have plenty of layers plus a dry shell in case it rains. If all your warm stuff gets wet or even moist -- you are in big trouble.

Same with baby -- REI sells a baby shell plus fleece outfits with feet right in them. Regular clothes (non wool / non fleece) won't fly with baby -- he will get very cold with lots of cotton layers!!!

Do you have a pack for baby? That can work as a make shift high chair, plus when you wear it you have two hands free. I wear mine with my 20 month old daughter and I'm 5 months pregnant so it's really easy to use if I have mastered it!

Smart wool socks are the best. I have about 10 pairs.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

Kris, I think we took Daniel on his first camping outing at about that age. He slept in my sleeping bag with me and we were both snug as a bug in a, well, sleeping bag. If your camp place has outlets you can take an electric blanket if you're worried about the cold. But it isn't too bad when you're snuggled up with him because body heat is pretty effective and I remember Daniel sleeping pretty well partly because he was next to me the whole time. And he really enjoyed the whole tent experience, too. Nothing like crawling around and making slippery sounds at the same time.

Have fun and don't forget the s'mores!!!!

Comment

Thanks guys...we bought everything down to the smores and then the boyscout council called me because the person who took our registration is new and didn't realize that siblings are not allowed. They told me I can't bring the baby Since I'm not ready to hand him over to mil for the weekend 8) one of the scout dads offered to have Andrew come with him.

I was really worried that he wouldn't want to go and would be afraid without me. (I'm SOOOO naive!)

I sat him down for a 'talk' and told him that I had some good news and some bad news. The good news was his new sleeping bag, smores, etc....and the bad news "I can't come with you. You will have to go with the other boys and their dads". Do you know what he said??

"I thought you said that you had some bad news for me? AWEEESOMMMEEE!"

I'm such a retard!

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I predict he'll still miss you a little when he gets there , and then he'll start having so much fun he'll forget the world outside boy scout camp even exists.
              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
              X