Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

MLM Obligations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLM Obligations

Do any of you ever feel obligated to buy things you don't need when you have a friend or family member selling them? I stick pretty closely to my budget and generally don't buy things I don't *need*, but now I'm wondering if I'm a jerk for not buying the books, lip glosses, jewelry, etc. that my sister-in-law and other friends are selling. Opinions??

Nope. Sometimes I'll buy them if it's genuinely something I want or would be interested to try, and it's reasonably priced, but I've passed on a ton of stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Allison - professor; wife to a urology attending; mom to baby girl E (11/13), baby boy C (2/16), and a spoiled cat; knitter and hoarder of yarn; photographer

Comment

My SIL just sent me another FB message about the Usborne books she’s selling. My kids really don’t need any more books right now, but I just have a feeling she’ll be ticked off if I don’t get anything.

Comment

I don’t buy any of that stuff. I’m sure I alienated one friend by refusing to sell skincare products with her “team”. I won’t buy Girl Scout cookies unless I’m asked to do so by an actual Girl Scout, not a parent. I also don’t respond to letters I get from my SIL straight up soliciting funds for my nephews’ baseball teams. If the boys want to earn money for extracurriculars, the least they can do is call me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Not really. Occasionally my cousin’s friends will donate to her MS walk for their parties but even then I’ll only buy something if I could use it myself or as a gift.

Maybe if I was constantly hosting parties I would feel obligated to buy from people who bought from my parties. But I never feel obligated to buy from the sellers. They sell because they enjoy it. They don’t (their or at least shouldn’t) expect people to financially support their business out of guilt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Loving wife of neurosurgeon

Comment

Nope. I'll buy Usborne books occasionally from a friend who sells them locally, but that's about it. If I bought from everyone who asked, it would be ridiculous. Honestly, I've had more people want to recruit me than buy their products, though.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by OrionGrad View Post
              My SIL just sent me another FB message about the Usborne books she’s selling. My kids really don’t need any more books right now, but I just have a feeling she’ll be ticked off if I don’t get anything.
              Any chance you could buy early for Christmas or a birthday?
              I pass on things but sometimes I buy to get ahead on gifts.
              Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

I posted a joke about parents registering for Draino due to postpartum hair loss. One of DHs college buddies that we bumped into randomly in 2011 and haven't spoken to since messaged me to tell me about a plant-based supplement that's "worked wonders" for her hair she'd "love to tell me about." Her hair looks the same as it did 7 years ago. I left her on read. 🤣

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

We’re selling pork butts as a soccer team fundraiser. I can’t bring myself to ask anyone to buy a pork butt so I haven’t made any $ for the team.

Needs

Comment

Originally posted by Phoebe View Post
                    We’re selling pork butts as a soccer team fundraiser. I can’t bring myself to ask anyone to buy a pork butt so I haven’t made any $ for the team.

😂 that’s amazing!!!!

Comment

Nope. Don't buy. Don't care. It perpetuates the myth that MLM helps women/moms.

I am a sucker for kids selling stuff. I hate boy scout popcorn. I bought some from some kids at the grocery store today though.
                      In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I am a sucker for kids selling stuff. I hate boy scout popcorn. I bought some from some kids at the grocery store today though.
                        Ugh me too! All the boy scouts I know hate selling it too! It's just so overpriced. I've just started giving them a $5 donation instead.

That being said...guess who is the troop cookie mom this year
                        Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I try to avoid MLM stuff completely. I also can't say no to kids selling or raising money.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                          Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                          Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

First time mom fundraiser here and had my oldest do a video. We practiced and the school goal was $30 but every time she practiced she kept putting the number higher. The one I eventually posted said $155 goal. I feel worse being the home room mom vs the fundraiser thing.
                            wife to PGY1 GS and two little girls, and 1 annoying dog

Comment

I don’t mind school fundraisers at all, especially when it’s the kids asking directly. It’s more just the combo of fundraisers (my niece and nephew are both in Scouts + they frequently have fundraisers for school sports, so that’s like 2 fundraisers each month) in addition to the MLM. It just feels constant.

I also would rather just donate money than buy stuff I don’t need. The shipping is so expensive on most of the fundraising stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X