Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Dementia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dementia

What does early dementia look like? Does anyone have experience with friends or relatives having signs of dementia? What treatment did they receive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Needs

My dad had Alzheimer’s. The early signs for him included increased confusion and anxiety. More mental errors like listing an address for a home he hadn’t lived in for years. Decreased socialization, increased paranoia. But it wasn’t all these things at once and they didn’t occur everyday. His was a slow decline of about ten years. Some go much faster. My friends father quickly moved from confusion to sleeping all the time and his course lasted less than five years as I recall.

Dad saw a neurologist that specializes in dementia. He went every few months for testing and check ups. I can’t remember the meds he took. They also tried acupuncture, high doses of certain vitamins, etc.

Much love to you. This is not a road that I would wish on anyone. I would get a care plan in order now that includes respite for you as a priority. Hugs!!
    Tara
    Married 20 years to MD/PhD in year 3 of MFM fellowship. SAHM to five wonderful children (#6 due in August), a sweet GSD named Bella, a black lab named Toby, and 1 guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Pollyanna View Post
      My dad had Alzheimer’s. The early signs for him included increased confusion and anxiety. More mental errors like listing an address for a home he hadn’t lived in for years. Decreased socialization, increased paranoia. But it wasn’t all these things at once and they didn’t occur everyday. His was a slow decline of about ten years. Some go much faster. My friends father quickly moved from confusion to sleeping all the time and his course lasted less than five years as I recall.
      I’ve also seen, but from a distance, the increasing confusion and decreasing socialization in my stepfather. He was a sales guy, and numbers were his thing. He fucked up their taxes a couple of times, and he can’t remember passwords to his accounts. I also saw an increase in his combativeness, some of which I’m sure came from living with my mother. But, it was more the frustration of his world closing in, than anger towards my mother. He also got lost on a cruise ship and can’t pack himself anymore.

Hugs to you! It’s not an easy walk. Check Alzheimer’s Association stuff in your area. While your mom may not want to go, it is great to go to things and know that other people get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

DrK is asleep but I'll ask him to respond tomorrow. He will likely suggest a phone chat if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
          DrK is asleep but I'll ask him to respond tomorrow. He will likely suggest a phone chat if you are interested.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          As expected, he said this would be better for a phone conversation. He says there are a lot of variables to consider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Working...
          X