Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Facebook groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook groups

Have you noticed trends in FB groups to be weirdly rule-driven? One group I’m in demands that you start every post using hashtags. I’m 49 and I rarely use hashtags. Call me old. Another group has these mandatory videos by the creator that you have to watch. It’s basically an hour of her bouncing around and announcing new rules or rehashing old rules.

Kris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

I've never been in any like that. I am in local community groups and a lot of buy/sell/trade groups--I get the need for rules there. Being an admin for one of those sounds like a major pain in the ass, so if they're going to put in the time I think it is fair to play by their rules. Plus, I've been on the other end of a deal where someone broke the rules and it is so annoying!
    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

I’m just going with it, but has made me rethink being a member.

Comment

Damn, I don't even know what using a hashtag means!!!!

Ma
        ybe just a little!!!
        Luanne
        wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

YES, I have totally noticed this. I’m not the admin in any large groups so I always assumed there must be a reason for all the strict rules, but I have definitely noticed what you’re talking about.

Comment

What type of group is the hashtag one? Maybe it is to make the posts sortable by searching?

That being said, I don't use hashtags either. Nope nope nope
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Weird. I'm in 57 groups (if you count the ones I admin, the ones my friends set up to sell Lularoe and then abandoned, etc.) and the most any of them require is to answer questions when you sign up. The ones with the strictest moderation just close comments or delete threads that go too far off topic. Mandatory videos would definitely make me "nope" right out of there!
              Alison

Comment

I get that their need to be rules, but the hashtag thing came about because people complained they were seeing topics they didn’t want to read. The idea is that you put hashtags at the start of your post and then someone can decide if they want to read it or not.

I remember people came for my head when I tried to close down the rant/rave threads as they killed threads and decreased conversation. I had to go with what everyone wanted, but I feel I was right about losing threads and a sense of community.

These sights don’t even allow complaints. In the hashtag group I wrote several comments that weren’t approved (every post must be approved) and my comments were immediately deleted. Imagine if I did that here. We’d all leave. I guess I’m more annoyed with this than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                  Have you noticed trends in FB groups to be weirdly rule-driven? One group I’m in demands that you start every post using hashtags. I’m 49 and I rarely use hashtags. Call me old. Another group has these mandatory videos by the creator that you have to watch. It’s basically an hour of her bouncing around and announcing new rules or rehashing old rules.

Kris

I know which group you are talking about re #hashtageverything. I think that particular group has gotten out of the admin's control and is going to hell in a handbag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                  Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

That sounds onerous and a PITA.

As far as moderation goes, I guess it just depends on how you want to go about it. It's your choice to leave the Facebook group and participate elsewhere. The downside is an admin would lose a participating member. They may care or they may not--up to them.

Technically here it is up to you whether or not you wanted to be a heavy handed admin. I mean, you do pay for the site. I'm thankful that you aren't, though!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                      I know which group you are talking about re #hashtageverything. I think that particular group has gotten out of the admin's control and is going to hell in a handbag.

I agree. And a lot of talking about breasts and vaginas.

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerTexan View Post
                        That sounds onerous and a PITA.

As far as moderation goes, I guess it just depends on how you want to go about it. It's your choice to leave the Facebook group and participate elsewhere. The downside is an admin would lose a participating member. They may care or they may not--up to them.

Technically here it is up to you whether or not you wanted to be a heavy handed admin. I mean, you do pay for the site. I'm thankful that you aren't, though!
                        I can’t be heavy-handed. You are my people.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessFiona View Post
                          I agree. And a lot of talking about breasts and vaginas.

Now everyone here is going to be curious! For those of you who are wondering, it started as a humor page/support group for women experiencing perimenopause. It was started by an humor writer who is a friend of mine. The group grew too large too fast. It started out as fun and supportive but now has become rather crass; a lot of unhappy women complaining about their bodies and their partners. If my friend hadn't started it, I'd be gone by now. I'm waiting to see if she can/will regain control.

Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                            Now everyone here is going to be curious! For those of you who are wondering, it started as a humor page/support group for women experiencing perimenopause. It was started by an humor writer who is a friend of mine. The group grew too large too fast. It started out as fun and supportive but now has become rather crass; a lot of unhappy women complaining about their bodies and their partners. If my friend hadn't started it, I'd be gone by now. I'm waiting to see if she can/will regain control.

I think it may be a lost cause, which is too bad. So now she has everyone hash tagging but people write “shit fuck piss” in their posts. I literally read a post where someone wrote those words to describe their feelings. I’m just not into talking like that and I don’t care to read it.

Kris

Comment

I was the wanker who reported that post and was basically told to stfu by the admin. Then she started a thread about how much she loves cussing and that the group is hers and her friends will cuss. I guess I’m too lame and not edgy enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X