Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

How is covid affecting training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is covid affecting training?

Any thoughts?

I’ve heard the application process this year might be screwed up for med school this year with cancelled MCATs. Some M4s aren’t graduating on time and m3’s are on hold with rotations. This affect is feeling felt downstream with residencies and fellowships and some with new jobs are being asked to take up to 30% paycuts (at least temporarily). This is hitting dental schools as well. Has anyone heard anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Luke is (finally) beginning MS3, after things being on hold for awhile. He was supposed to take Step 1 at the end of March, but now will be taking it towards the end of June. His rotations have all been pushed back. His radiology and anesthesiology rotations (which were each only 2 weeks long to begin with) have been changed to online rotations that all of the students will do at the same time before starting actual in-person rotations. He is currently doing a transitions course (online) that was supposed to start at the beginning of April. He’s rolled with the uncertainty pretty well, but it has been hard.

Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

It sounds tough. Will he be able to go on to m4 as planned?

Comment

He should be. But just like everything else, it’s all subject to change!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Originally posted by mommax3 View Post
          He should be. But just like everything else, it’s all subject to change!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          I hope and pray things go as planned!

Comment

Fellowship has been frustrating, but we are in a better position than most. I really feel for the R3s who were supposed to take the CORE/Boards this summer. They studied for months only for it to be pushed back indefinitely. What's really ironic is it is a computer based test and there is no reason it couldn't be administered at local testing centers, but that is a whole different ballgame.

DH was taken off doing procedures and he is the only person on site now. He reads very little everyday and mostly just sits around. He was looking at old fetal MRI cases for awhile to gain more skills there, but I think they told him not to anymore because pulling up the old images stresses the PACS. He's just ready to be done. He's not learning anything and feels like he is doing so little that he is losing knowledge now. We both wish he could just end early, but he would have nothing to do at the new job yet and it is an ACGME accredited fellowship so they are going to be stricter about requirements. He should be fine to graduate on time, though. Since we cancelled some travel in April/May, we are looking at ending 2 weeks early instead of 1 and getting out to TN sooner.

New job is still ok, but there is a chance he could be looking at a paycut right off the bat. Their group just got a new CEO and they have a solid plan, so I am happy about that. They support a Level I trauma center, so volumes are down vs gone and they should be ok in the long run. Outpatient radiology is getting killed.
            Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

Most M4s we know are graduating early and have options to begin residency early. At least, that’s at our program.

Comment

Working...
              X