Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Public Restrooms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Restrooms?

So, now that things are starting to open up, I’m trying to figure out what to do. I definitely don’t want to be the first to race out, especially because I can’t go anywhere with 3 kids who lick doorknobs and whatnot. I’ve decided that at this point, I’m comfortable with visiting outdoor venues such as walking trails, public parks, public gardens maybe even berry picking provided that we can maintain appropriate distancing from others.

However, what do I do if the kids need to potty? The boys can find a tree a lot easier than Lambie can (and still, yuck). Over the last 70 days, the kids have only been playing in our yard and going on car trips lasting less than 2 hours. But some of the outdoor venues require more than 2 hours round trip so what do I do?

Also, bear in mind, K1 is 10yo and K2 will be 9 next month. They are too old to go with me into the ladies’ room so I can’t monitor hand washing, distancing, or avoidance of germy stuff for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Wife and #1 Fan of Attending Adult & Geriatric Psychiatrist.

Public Restrooms?

This has been on my mind, too.

They have little travel potties on Amazon. We own one but it’s 10 years old and has never been used. They’re intended for toddlers but the reviews mention even adults using them in a pinch. I *have* had my youngest use a training potty inside our minivan with the doors closed so I know that’s possible.

Bottom line: I’m thinking of cobbling together some kind of system with a travel potty in the minivan but haven’t actually done it.

ETA: I have no boys, and no advice about how they pee if they’re not out in the woods!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Auspicious; 05-19-2020, 05:11 PM.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Originally posted by Auspicious View Post
      This has been on my mind, too.

They have little travel potties on Amazon. We own one but it’s 10 years old and has never been used. They’re intended for toddlers but the reviews mention even adults using them in a pinch. I *have* had my youngest use a training potty inside our minivan with the doors closed so I know that’s possible.

Bottom line: I’m thinking of cobbling together some kind of system with a travel potty in the minivan but haven’t actually done it.

ETA: I have no boys, and no advice about how they pee if they’re not out in the woods!
      Yes, I had the training potty in the car when Lambie was smaller and I actually did use it myself in a pinch. We used to also bring it on road trips when K1 was a toddler. I haven’t had it in my car for a while and I hate to bring that back. My kids are 6, 9 and 10 this summer.

Comment

I have a notoriously small bladder. I kind of freaked out when everything closed, because it meant I could stop in. I discovered that Qwik Trip has open bathrooms. They’re all around. I stop there now. I went to the mall today and didn’t notice if the toilets were open. The doors were touch less to get in and I absolutely could not get the door to open. I ended up using my hands.

Kris

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
        ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

I'm not worried that bathrooms will be closed. I'm worried they will be unsanitary. Most don't have toilet lids and flushes puts a lot of germs into the air. Then there are all the touch surfaces.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
            I'm not worried that bathrooms will be closed. I'm worried they will be unsanitary. Most don't have toilet lids and flushes puts a lot of germs into the air. Then there are all the touch surfaces.

🤷🏼*♀️ Everywhere ive gone has been clean. I certainly prefer it to peeing in the car.

~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Public Restrooms?

I would use bathrooms only in a pinch. Avoid as much as possible. Keep hand sanitizer and wipes in your car. You do the best you can, but yeah, bathrooms are a rough one. After all, you can’t SEE COVID with your eyes.
              Heidi, PA-S1 - wife to an orthopaedic surgeon, mom to Ryan, 17, and Alexia, 11.

Comment

I think that in areas where nonessential travel is restricted, this is a big part of why. No one should be buying food or gas or using a bathroom outside of their home community, IMO. When travel restrictions end up completely lifted, hopefully this will be an indicator that bathrooms are also safe(r). At least for places where data is driving the decisions.
                Alison

Comment

Originally posted by spotty_dog View Post
                  I think that in areas where nonessential travel is restricted, this is a big part of why. No one should be buying food or gas or using a bathroom outside of their home community, IMO. When travel restrictions end up completely lifted, hopefully this will be an indicator that bathrooms are also safe(r). At least for places where data is driving the decisions.
                  We are at stage 1.5 right now. Restaurants are open with outdoor seating and limited capacity. Next week, museums and libraries will open. Public pools are closed all summer. I'm wary.

Comment

I'm avoiding using public restrooms when I can, but I'm basically wearing a mask anywhere I go and washing my hands so I honestly cant believe the risk is that high with those precautions.

Kids are harder. For now I'm still trying to keep them home as much as possible. I have masks for them but they wont really wear them longer than 5 minutes. We did use a gas station bathroom when we went to see my in laws in Houston 2 weeks ago. They actually were very clean and had a family 1 stall option, so it wasn't bad at all.
                    Married to a newly minted Pediatric Rad, momma to a sweet girl and a bunch of (mostly) cute boy monsters.

Comment

The only places we have been as a family are state parks/beaches and I have to say it's changed my mind on the porto-potty. They are cleaned/emptied daily. We choose one of the big ones and DH goes in to disinfect with wipes, then we take turns taking the kids in.
                      It's one of the reasons why I don't think much will change for us this summer. I cannot fathom taking all 3 kids anywhere, especially with a one year old who will lick and touch everything 🤮 I also don't feel at all comfortable hiring a babysitter right now.
                      We wear masks everywhere (we have to in CT) and wash hands religiously. If you have older kids that is enough, unless there is someone literally coughing in your face.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
                      Student and Mom to an Oct 2013 boy
                      Wife to Anesthesia Critical Care attending

Comment

I’ve gone in the Target bathroom a few times. Once was with both my kids, since the oldest had to go 10 minutes into a 30 minute drive to the middle of nowhere. It was stressful to do that, but I could hold the baby and touch little, and wash my hands right away. My oldest is a rule follower and didn’t touch anything, and I got her to wash up right away. Followed by a healthy dose of hand sanitizer once we got back to the car. If we are going to a bathroom that has decent sanitation, then I’m generally less anxious about the whole process.

Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

I’m really more concerned about airborne germs than I am about surfaces. You can sanitize your hands after leaving the bathroom. But at this point, I think I’d want a mask and goggles to avoid junk that is coming out of the toilets.

Comment

Have they confirmed covid is present in feces?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MrsK View Post
                              I’m really more concerned about airborne germs than I am about surfaces. You can sanitize your hands after leaving the bathroom. But at this point, I think I’d want a mask and goggles to avoid junk that is coming out of the toilets.

Yeah, we wore masks in the bathroom. Our state requires masks in all public places.

You make a good point about goggles, though. DH’s elderly aunt was wearing full blown PPE today for one of her first outings in 2 months. Her goggles fogged up and she fell and broke her wrist. 😔

If I could overcome the fogged up lenses, I’d wear my glasses more often if I knew it would help. I did wear my glasses with my mask once, because I was running on fumes and we needed to order a new dishwasher. I kept touching my mask to make the fogging up stop. That’s not a good thing. There has to be a better way.

Event coordinator, wife and therapist to a peds attending

Comment

Working...
                              X