Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

kids and residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kids and residency

Hi.

How many of you had kids during residency (or have)? Did they go to daycare? I'm really interested in getting my kids in daycare when we come to the US. Just wondering if it was way too much of an expense or if it is swingable?

Whoops.. I should maybe clarify that I don't plan on working but maybe going back to school part-time.

We are in our first year of residency (internship year). We have two kids and one on the way. Life is tough financially, but definitely doable. I worked last year in jobs where I was lucky enough to take my kids with me 90% of the time. This year, since we are only going to be here for one year, I didn't really get into the working scene, except for teaching aerobics (where we also get to take the kids and put them in the "kids club" at the gym). Next year, however, we are going to be settling for quite a while and I have already been looking into masters programs there.

I guess in not-so-short answer... we haven't done the day care scene, so I'm not much help in that aspect, but we have done the kids thing, and it works for us (apart from my several pull-out-the-hair-put-me-in-the-funny-farm episodes ). I have found that getting involved in ANYTHING outside the home is life-saving for me as far as my sanity level goes. When I get just an hour or two of "me" time or even interaction with other adult-time, then I am a much better mother to my kids.

I applaud your efforts to go back to school! I am scared to death of that prospect, I have been out of the study mode for so long!! I know that many residency programs do have on-site child care available. I haven't looked into the one here for cost, but I have been told that it is available for us to use. That may be one option to try.

Good luck with everything this next year holds in store for you and an early welcome back to the US.

Jen B.

Comment

You may want to check in to chruch-run preschool/mom's day out programs.....the hours may work for your school schedule, and it also helps you meet other parents in a new community. Check http://www.naeyc.com (National Association for the Education of Young Children) for a list of preschools that are accredited by that organization, and also check the yellow pages of the community where you end up.

I have been involved with church-run preschools for almost 8 years now, and it has saved my sanity, as well as provided my kids with a fun outlet to look forward to a couple of times a week.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I found a great preschool option for my older daughter and was able to have her go a few mornings a week. When I started working part-time, I was able to increase the days and length of time.
        If you are looking for "just" some time for yourself, you might want to look into MOPS programs in the area you are living. (MOPS=Mothers of Preschoolers, I think). They are usually run through churches and offer a few hours a few days a week for a very reasonable cost. Many churches also offer "mom's day out" programs. If you want more than a few days and hours a week, you might want to check out more traditional preschools or day care.

Comment

Thanks for the info! The MOPS program or the mom's day out sound like exactly what I'm looking for. Not a full-time daycare but some relief. How does that work with church provided care, do you have to be of that religion or a member of the particular church which has the daycare?

Comment

I applaud your efforts to go back to school! I am scared to death of that prospect, I have been out of the study mode for so long!!
            I am scared to death too. I have one goal during dh's residency and that is to pass a math class (it is like the basic Algebra needed in a bachelor's degree) Sad I know but I have a fear of math. I have three years to get myself together. I bet you can take that class on-line now, maybe that would help. I doubt it I'm very good at procrastinating. Yuck I'm sweating thinking about it, think I'll shelf that idea for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by nattysmor
              How does that work with church provided care, do you have to be of that religion or a member of the particular church which has the daycare?
              Most of the time, no -- it's available to anyone in the community. Some programs might teach some aspects of religion so, if that would be an issue for you, a good thing to ask about.
              We are not Jewish but had our daughter at a synagogue preschool and it has been a wonderful experience. We have all learned a lot about Jewish holidays and culture.

Comment

I think it totally depends on where you are.

We are now reasearching pre-schools (for this time NEXT year) where often times there is a day-care component so while we have never used or considered day-care, I have a little info.

I do know where we live it is expensive but not that difficult if you aren't picky to get full time day care but part time is difficult and not that less expensive. Where we live there are lists for everything. I will have to register/get on a list for my daughter's pre-school this winter if I want her enrolled this time next year.
                Flynn

Wife to post training CT surgeon; mother of three kids ages 17, 15, and 11.

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” —Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets " Albus Dumbledore

Comment

About the religion thing.....I haven't attended either of the churches we have used for childcare. You would have to check with the individual schools, though.

The only thing is that church members sometimes get priority when it comes to enrollment, and most schools enroll in Feb-March for the coming year. I have never not gotten in somewhere, although this year, I wasn't able to get the exact days I wanted for my youngest. I think the demand and price varies by area of the country. Right now I pay $105/month for my youngest to go to a church-run preschool two days a week from 9 to 2. When I started sending a child to preschool 7 years ago, it cost somewhere around $70 for the same amount of time. Each year it has increased gradually to where it is now.....and some years, I have had two kids in preschool, so what I am paying now seems like a relative bargain.

Sally
                  Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
                  X