Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hobby

What would you call your main "hobby" ? The thing that you most look forward to doing.. not counting working out either, unless you really love it.

Mine is baking, not cooking. I love it when the kids are in bed, dh is doing something and I can bake anything I want.

Reading would have to be my number one hobby. I used to like to read the classics, biographies, and things were I felt like I was learning something new but now that I've got kids and my brain is in a million different places, I'm more into reading "fluff". It has become purely an escape for me.
    I love to bake also--the more complicated the better. I don't get to do this often anymore with 3 small children and I really miss it.
    Shopping! If I shopped as often as I wish I could we would be in the poor house! Fortunately, my dh is just as into shopping as I am (he's been known to go shopping with me on Super Bowl Sunday.)
    Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I like working on the computer and trying to learn how to install/modify new programs. I also enjoy writing....and my new 'hobby' appears to involve dollhouses.

kris
      ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
      ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Mine is reading also....anything and everything. A close second would be editing/enhancing photos on my computer. I love shopping, too......but we live 2.5 hours from the nearest place to really shop, so I have gotten out of the habit since we have lived here.

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

A main hobby is reading though I haven't been able to keep up lately. I like most fiction and non-fiction, cooking magazines, cookbooks, house magazins (love Inspired Home), etc. I'm sure the rainy Portland winters will help me catch up!

I also love to cook and bake. Not a lot of that happening either because my current kitchen is so &$*#^# frustrating and not-user-friendly. Hopefully that will be resolved soon.

And being outside. We got a double jogger/bike buggy and haven't used it as much as I'd like! I'm hoping we can go for a bike ride tomorrow.

And, judging from the web address history on my computer, shopping for a car I can't afford that has a third row of seats but looks and feels like a sporty car. I'm still looking.

Comment

Running
            Outdoor activities
            Reading
            Jewelry Making
            Medicalspouse.com
            In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

How did I manage to italicize all that?

Comment

Hobbies that I enjoy are mountain biking, sport activities, playing with my kids and wife, dreaming of the last payment for student loans.

Hobbies that have been forced on me....home improvement of all types.

Comment

internet
                  reading
                  daydreaming about what kind of life I want
                  gardening
                  baking
                  shopping - for those of you who don't have time/don't live near good shopping...you need to try the internet!!!
                  I get all my clothing for about 95% off retail - and it's brand new. I don't care if it's last season.

Kelly - how did you learn how to make jewelry? I've seen these cool displays in the craft stores, but it looks pretty intimidating.

Comment

Chris,

Just go to a local bead store and ask if they offer classes. It is really easy. However, I must warn you that it is very addictive.

Kelly
                    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

Hmmmm-

Cooking (NOT baking- baking scares me)

Reading- usually mysteries, autobiographies and anything political (right-wing, left wing, it don't matta to me!)

Cultural stuff- theater, movies, concerts, museums (and since I'm in DC, all of the 'big' museums are FREE. FREE, FREE- and for any one who might me interested, the new museum of the American Indian- FABULOUS!!!)

Travel- both for work and for pleasure. The weekly stuff gets old but I still love the thrill of opening up our schedules and finding out where I'm going. I love to fly (although I finally had a flight where I seriously thought we would die- it was BAD) I love to plan travel and I love to research the trips.

That's it!

Jenn

Comment

In no particular order, I like ...

- reading
                        - crafts (cross-stitch, jewelry-making, trying to teach myself to sew)
                        - movies
                        - cooking
                        - gardening
                        - shopping
                        - talking walks with my dog
                        ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                        -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

reading
                          movies
                          walking
                          eating, but not cooking
                          cultural stuff: symphony, opera, ballet, museums

Comment

--Wedding planning has reached hobby status in my life at this point, though obviously that's going to be temporary.

--I do enjoy reading, mostly novels, the internet, and a couple magazines, but since it's also my job I don't do as much of it in my free time as I used to.

--Hiking/walking. I'm not into psycho, let's-find-something-really-tall-and-climb-to-the-peak hiking (like FH was when we first met), but you give me a few hours and five or six miles that's sorta flat and someone nice to share it with and I'm happy as a clam. Usually we have to settle for long walks in the city, though. Just yesterday we walked like five miles through Brooklyn and Prospect Park and then topped it off with pomegranite margaritas. Now that's a good day.

--I'm glad "cultural stuff" is qualifying as a hobby here. We go to a lot of movies (though not so much since surgery started), a fair number of museum exhibits, and a little theatre.

--We get out to see his family in New England and mine in the Midwest whenever possible, which adds up to several trips per year, if you're going to define "hobbies" as things we look forward to.
                            Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                            Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                            Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

No particular order-

- baking/cooking- favorite publication: Cook's Illustrated, and the Best Recipe series.
                              - rubberstamping/card making
                              - hiking- on our honeymoon we went to Bryce and Zion's National Park, and hiked about 1/3 of the Narrows. I would love to go back without the children and do a serious hike- Angel's Landing, and to hike all of the Narrows (and hike it the "right" way- long story). Wish I could do some harder hikes, but they take us twice as long now that we have children, so I am learning to savor and enjoy the simpler hikes.
                              - reading- dh says I read way too many parenting mags (which is why I took up rubberstamping and cardmaking), and I have been known to pick up an occasional journal of his. I admit I was pre-med.
                              - traveling- I miss it, but I am trying to local excursions with the children. Before I know it they will be gone and Matt and I will have all the time in the world to travel where we want to.

Crystal
                              Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Working...
                              X