Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Regifting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regifting Question

Do you regift?

If yes, what standards do you adhere to in regifting?

Have you ever been busted?

I am going to "regift" a beautiful porcelain baby picture frame to a friend of mine. Let me come right out and ask for what I'm really seeking here: VALIDATE ME!!!

Kelly
    In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Go for it! It sounds like a terrific gift! I have yet to try it simply because I would probably be the one to give it back to the person who gave it to me in the first place!
    Or I would give it to someone who knows the person who initially gave it to me as well.
    Needless to say, I am too afraid of getting caught!

Comment

Kelly -
      Call me number one cheap-o, but we don't hesitate to regift things. Especially nice things that we know just aren't our style (that, or we just need to grab something quick and once again are down to the last few pennies in the account... ). I would definitely say go for it!!

One word of caution, however, make sure that there aren't any 'personalized touches' on it... our friends got a beautiful photo album for their wedding from some of their parent's friends - the kind that has metal around as a 'frame'... they were looking through it and found "the Johnsons" (or something like that) engraved into the back of it. The only problem... our friends' last name was not "Johnson" .

Jen B.

Comment

I might do it but in all my paranoia about getting caught I would probably call up the person who gave me the frame and say something like.... "Where did you get that frame, I'd like to give one as a gift to someone..." Pretty sneaking, huh?

Comment

I've done it a few times, especially for kid items. For Christmas or Birthdays there are times when the girls have received multiples of something or have just gotten something I know they won't play with so I've gifted it later to somebody else. I think if you're careful about it, it's fine. I wouldn't worry about regifting a percelien frame--it sounds like a nice gift!
          Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I've done it, but rarely. My first husband and I were the recipients of an obviously regifted vase. and it was hideous. So, we added our gift card to the original gift card and gave to the next couple. who then gave it to the next couple, and it became a contest to disguise the ulgy vase. It was given as a wedding present, Xmas gifts, etc. No one deserved this vase.

I hope someone finally got the balls to donate it somewhere (where it would then be purchased as a wedding gift and the cycle could start anew!)

Actually, I'm even worse, I sell the stuff I don't want on eBay!!!!

Jenn

Comment

As long as you regift to a person who doesn't know the original gifter, you should be fine. For example, I regift stuff I get from my friends to DH's friends and vice versa. This way I know that the original giver won't find his/her gift in someone else's home. I don't feel guilty about regifting nice expensive presents that I just happen not to like personally.

Comment

DW is the queen of regifting.

Comment

Jenn...that is hysterical! I like the idea of adding the gift card and making it almost a 'gag' gift!

who moi..regift? :>

kris
                  ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
                  ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

If I kept gifts around to re-gift, I would forget about them and 5 years later find a huge pile of 'em.

After we got married, we thought we had been regifted. We got this so-so pitcher and glass set from friends who got married about a month before us. We figured we would just do the same and write a thank you note for the pitcher. Well, good thing I opened it because they had just used that box and filled it with gourmet pastas, olive oil, and other goodies.

Comment

Working...
                    X