Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

What's in your Netflix Queue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in your Netflix Queue?

1. Baptiste: Power Vinyasa Yoga. Vol 2
    2. The Night of the Hunter
    3. the Quiet American

We have 161 movies in our queue. Many of them are heavily under dispute ("Did you put that in? Why?? It's lame and it was on TV last week!" ). We try to alternate his and mine. Our next five are

The Station Agent R Independent Now

Men in Black II PG-13 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Now

Little Dieter Needs to Fly NR Documentary Now

Saved! PG-13 Comedy Now

Cheaper by the Dozen PG Children & Family Now
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I have 81 in mine. BF is not allowed to rate anything he picks because I don't want it to influence my recommendations!

Let me know how the Station Agent is. I watched Saved! a couple weeks ago and it was pretty funny (some parts were a little obnoxious, though)

Comment

What is NETFLIX?

Comment

http://www.netflix.com

You pay a monthly fee and have unlimited access to DVDs by mail.

Comment

right now we have:

Latter Days
            Better Off Dead
            Waking Life

the next to come:

Flirting with Disaster
            Before Sunset
            50 First Dates

Can you tell BF is in his surgical rotation? We usually have very similar arguments... esp. when one of us moves things around.

Comment

Currently we have a documentary of Chick Jones, Patton and a documentary called The Gleaners and I. Soon to come:

Election R Comedy

Swordfish R Action & Adventure

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! NC-17 Foreign

Cinema Paradiso: Director's Cut R Foreign

Mozart: The Requiem from Sarajevo NR Music & Musicals

Platoon R Drama

Do You Believe in Miracles? NR Documentary

AFI's 100 Years, 100 Movies NR Documentary

The Grifters R Drama

The Rocky Horror Picture Show R Independent

It's rather eclectic-

Jenn

Comment

Now that we finallyhave a DVD player , I'm thinking about signing up for this. Is it worth it? I have a bad habit of ambitiously renting movies and they end up getting returned unwatched. (I finally got smart about returning them on time at least!)

How is the turnaround time?

Comment

I want to see Before Sunset!

Dangy, yes it is worth it if you watch enough movies per month. Or if you are just willing to pay for the convenience and not deal with late fees. Turn around time depends on where you live and mail the DVDs to. For us, it was usually 2 days once Netflix got the movie. I found that if I mailed from a post office with an early collection time, I got really fast turnaround.

It's a nice way to get kids movies besides the library.

Comment

Chris---

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Netflix! We don't go to the movies (unless it's Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, you know movies that you HAVE to see on a big screen)- we're cheap, cough, I mean FRUGAL, and besides we think it is nicer to watch the movies at home with our own surround sound, and in our pjs. I don't have to worry about late fees, and I just drop it in the mail when I am done- no postage necessary. We have the economy plan- $13.05/month for 4 movies checked out total, at 2 at a time. That's all we have time for. Have I sold you yet???!!!

We have 150+ movies in our Queue. I have added all of the Veggie Tales, and other wholesome kid movies for Emma- we move one up every so often for her. We also have "golden era" movies such as Road to Morocco, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Others in our Queue- IMAX movies that I wanted to see but didn't have a chance: Kilimajaro, Antartica. We also have a long list of new releases. We made a decision as couple to start "cleaning" up the type of movies we see. So I will add a new release just so it's there, and before we check it out we go to a website- http://www.kidsinmind.com- It tells you the exact content that a movie has. It's nice, because there are certain things Matt and I are tired of watching in movies.
                    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

My turnaround time is really fast. If I mail out a movie today, they'll get it tomorrow, and I'll get a new one the next day.

I love it, especially since they have a better selection of foreign movies than Blockbuster. I also like not having to deal with late fees.

You could always try it out for a month and see if you like it. Signing up is super easy and there's no year contract or anything like that.

Comment

I love Netflix, too! But DH has most of the control over our movie queue, so usually I'm stuck watching Jackie Chan or Wesley Snipes movies. Occassionally, he'll rent something I'll like.

One thing I love about Netflix is that if one of our friends rents a movie that is really good, they'll let us borrow it and I just pop it in the mail after we've watched it. My former boss would rent great movies that DH would never be interested in renting, so he would pass the movies along to me and I'd mail them off when I was done.

A couple good movies to rent are Monsoon Wedding & Amelie.

Comment

Originally posted by EDWife
                          I LOVED both of those movies.

Comment

Originally posted by EDWife
                            I loved those too! I can't wait for A Very Long Engagement to hit theaters!!

Comment

We just got a free month-long trial, and have really liked it so far. I agree, you either have to see a lot of movies to justify the cost or don't mind paying for the convenience. I dropped our last 2 movies in the mailbox Monday morning and will probably get our next ones today or tomorrow (Thursday) so the service for us is pretty quick. I don't think we'll sign up for a permanent membership after the trial is over though. If there's a movie we really want to see we'll usually go see it at the theater (we always go to matinees or use our 10-year-old student IDs to get discounted prices). On average, we normally only rent maybe 1 movie per month, so the price for Netflix isn't really worth it to us. Who knows, my story will probably change when this baby comes and we don't have the time (or money!) to get out of the house to see movies like we do now...
                              ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                              -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Working...
                              X