Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Have you Served....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you Served....

On jury duty? I received a summons for the entire month of December. They told me I might even have to serve one day of each week of Dec, or even more if I am picked from the pool. I was called once in Chicago but not picked from the pool for a case. I know it's civic duty, but...bleh....

That system stinks!
    I have been called 3x and my former city had a 1 day/1 trial policy. So, if they don't assign you to a case in that first day -- you're done!

Comment

The last time I got a notice, I had to call each night for a week to find out if I had to show up the next day. It figures that I got called on the last day! It was such a pain because I had to basically finish up everything that was pressing at work each evening because I didn't know if I would be back the next morning.

The time I did have to show for duty, I was stuck in a room with about 200 other people from 9-5p. At 4:50p, they told us all to go home because they didn't need jurors...the cases were settled out of court. Well, couldn't they have decided that before they made us waste an entire day??

That stinks that you have to be "on call" for an entire month! I think it's my civic duty to serve on a jury, but the process can be inconvenient to say the least!

Comment

I waited for years to get called for jury duty. Anything for the opportunity to step out of work for the day. When did I finally get the summons? When Gavin was a week old. Obviously, I bowed out.

Comment

I got called twice in college but was excused because I was so far out of district. Have never been called since.
          Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
          Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
          Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I have also never been called to serve for jury duty, although I would welcome the opportunity (of course, I'll probably be called at some inopportune time now and will regret saying that! ). I think it would be fascinating to see the inner workings of the justice system up close.

I think I would be careful re: answering questions with an obvious bias in an attempt to be excused... One of DH's co-residents did that exact thing and the judge saw right through it. Told him that he didn't care what he did for a living (apparently he'd been playing the 'I'm-too-busy-I'm-a-surgical-resident' card), he had a civic duty to be there, and if he continued he would be held in contempt of court.
            ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
            -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Yes, I was on a trial that took two weeks. I used to believe that everyone should be required to serve, but that changed my mind. Stupid people should not be allowed to serve.
              Luanne
              Luanne
              wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

Can you tell it was a delightful experience?????
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That's funny Luanne, that is about how my sister's experience was (she served on a trial for a little girl who was beaten to death by a mother's boyfriend).
                  I myself have never served.
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Working...
                  X