Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

gift etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gift etiquette

Do any of you give Christmas gifts to your mail carriers? Back in California the postal employees were not allowed to accept gifts, whether monetary or not. But I'm now in a small town and our mail carrier is an independent contractor and not an actual USPS employee (I think). The thought of giving a gift hadn't even crossed my mind until I got a Christmas card in the mail today from my mail lady. Should I give her a gift if it is allowed by the USPS? I've never actually met her, just seen her in passing, so I'm not sure what the etiquette is.

Erica

FH's dad was a mailcarrier (which is funny, because he's kind of a hot-tempered nutjob and therefore plays right into the "going postal" stereotype--sort of like if his dad were a cop who had a thing for doughnuts or something. But I digress.) and FH says if you have the same mailcarrier everyday you're "supposed to" leave something for them. (My family never did this growing up, but we also never did gifts for teachers, so I guess we weren't into the niceties or something).

However, FH also says that our apartment currently has a rotating schedule of like seven mailcarriers (he's very observant about these things!) since the post office hires a bunch of part-time people so they don't have to pay them benefits.

So our mailcarrier(s) are getting nothing. :|
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I guess I never really knew about gifts for mail carriers until reading about it here last year. In our new digs, we have a super friendly mail carrier who has drawn maps to local parks for the kids, given us three huge pieces of salmon that he caught, etc. So, if ever there was a gift-worthy mail carrier, I'm guessing he's up there.

What does one give a mail carrier?

Our paper carrier gave us a Christmas card but I threw away the envelope so I don't have his return address. And I will *not* be getting up at 5am to give him a gift.

Is there anyone else I am forgetting about re: a gift? I obviously don't know about these things!

Comment

I have no idea what to give a mail carrier either! Julie, do you have any suggestions? My former boss mentioned that she always gives her mail carrier a tip. I tried giving one to my former mailman and he told me he wasn't allowed to accept any gifts. I always assumed that meant all mail carriers.

We get two different daily papers and I received cards from each delivery person. One delivery person wrote her address inside the card...maybe so I'd send her something?? Gosh, I thought I was almost done with Christmas shopping!

Comment

Anyone know any guidelines on what you're supposed to tip the super of your building? This is our first year with a super. I don't suppose there's some easy guideline like a certain percentage of your monthly rent?

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”

Comment

Originally posted by Julie
            Anyone know any guidelines on what you're supposed to tip the super of your building? This is our first year with a super. I don't suppose there's some easy guideline like a certain percentage of your monthly rent?

Wow! I am definitely out of the loop on this stuff.

Comment

I just found this guide to tipping. Julie, it includes how much to give to your Super.

Christmas Holiday Tipping Etiquette
              Christmas is a great time of year to remember those people who serve you regularly. Since it only occurs once a year, holiday tipping can be a source of holiday stress, but it need not be so. I recommend a gift or a tasteful Christmas card with a tip inside. Delivery should occur in the month of December prior to Christmas day.

Maid - one week's pay
              Mail carrier - $10-20
              Apartment building superintendent - $20-100
              Doorman/concierge - $50-100 or more, depending upon building
              Shampoo - $10
              Manicurist/pedicurist - $15 or more
              Hairdresser/stylist - $15 or more
              Massage therapist - $15 or more. Read more about tipping massage therapists at http://www.frappydoo.com.
              Newspaper delivery boy - Daily - $25 - 50, weekend - $10
              Regular overnight delivery person - $10-30
              Teacher - Thoughtful gift
              Garbage collector(s) - $15-20 each
              Baby sitter - two-to-three night's pay, plus maybe a gift
              Full-time nanny - one week's pay
              Day care service - $25-70 plus a gift
              Parking attendants - $10-20 each
              Personal trainer - $60-100 upon reaching goal.
              Country Club - I believe in tipping at Christmas regardless of the club's tipping policy. I recommend a minimum of $50 for your waiters, locker-room personnel, front-desk employees, and golf professionals. For head waiters or special service, make it $100.

OK, so now I should tip my mail carrier, 2 paper carriers, 2 trash collectors, hairstylist, and UPS guy?!

Comment

Ok, I was doing some more searching for tipping guidelines and one guy mentioned that he tips his dentist! If only DH got tips from his patients....

Comment

I'm going to tip the mail carrier and the garbage men, but I can't think who else off the top of my head. We don't really use any other service people that I noticed on the list. I do plan on buying something for the teachers at the parent's day out program. Last year I brought in a fruit basket that had candy, cheeses, etc. that was pretty well received so I might just stick with that. Oh yeah, I guess I might do something for my clients--maybe chocolates?
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by SueC
                    Last year I brought in a fruit basket that had candy, cheeses, etc. that was pretty well received so I might just stick with that. Oh yeah, I guess I might do something for my clients--maybe chocolates?
                    Yeah! A few of our authors (the small minority who are wealthy) send us chocolates to share at the office at the holidays, and everybody loves that. The other thing that goes over well is those giant tins of popcorn--usually they're divided up in thirds of caramel corn, cheese popcorn, and butter flavor, know the ones I mean? Set a stack of paper cups next to the tin and it's really easy to share among the office.

Comment

Good idea about the popcorn, Julie. Chocolates and cookies also go over well, I think. At least I always enjoyed those treats at the office!

My parents have stories about how mail carriers can make your life easy or difficult, and that you better tip them (out of fear??) I never tipped the one at my last apartment, but the one at my new building is really nice, so I'm going to leave her a card with $5-10. Same for the newspaper guy-- if he leaves a card with an address, you should mail it.

Comment

Working...
                      X