Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Christmas shopping frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas shopping frustration

I am an only child and my parents weren't into gift giving much. I would usually receive two presents one from each of my parents. The emphasis was on the food an friends and family getting together. However, my husband's family is all about exchaning presents. My husband has left the shopping to me for the past two years and I hate it. I really don't like having to be forced into buying presents. This year my husband has skillfully abandoned me claiming lack of sleep and time. So I am at the point of buying presents for his family again. So what is the best strategy for choosing a gift for someone. Do you choose a gift based your desire to share something with them, or your desire for them to experience something that you have experienced and enjoyed. Or it is about the other person completely, i.e. just getting them something that you think that they would like, even if you yourself see no value in the thing? Perhaps I am putting too much thought into the whole thing. What are you thoughts?

In my family we've always made wish lists (with some exceptions, like my grandparents don't do that)--and if you don't make one, everyone will bug you until you do. Thinking up the wish list is usually almost as hard as coming up with what to get everyone else, but it does ensure fewer fake smiles on Christmas morning.

I've very much resisted being put in charge of gift-selecting for both sides of the family; FH is still required to get the gifts for his side (despite his efforts to the contrary ). I figure he handled it for 30 years before I met him, he can continue it now. All our gifts to both sides are signed from both of us.

My theory for what to get people is "get them what they want, not what you want them to have." It's 95% based on what they want, and then it's an extra 5% bonus if it's something that's based on an interest we have in common, or that I think is cool. Lots of times I'm buying gifts I can barely pronounce, though.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I also try to buy gifts that are about 95% what the person wants - even if I see no value in the thing.

This year, DH really wants a harmonica gift set that we saw at the bookstore yesterday. It comes with a harmonica and a book that teaches you how to play. He barely has time to sleep and yet all he can talk about is how much fun it will be to teach himself how to play (if Santa brings it of course...). I don't see him ever actually teaching himself to play - I'm sure it will go on the shelf next to the knot tying game that he *had* to have last year (that was used once on Christmas morning). And yet, today at lunch, I went out and bought it anyway......

It stinks that you are stuck buying for DH's family. That is not fair! Can you get out of it? There are still 4 days for DH to go out and do it himself!
      Cranky Wife to a Peds EM in private practice. Mom to 5 girls - 1 in Heaven and 4 running around in princess shoes.

Comment

Working...
      X