Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

In-Laws are making me CRAZY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Laws are making me CRAZY

Has anyone else lived with their in-laws? We live in their basement so that we could save money/ pay down dept before med school. My mother in law is wonderful. The rest of them I could live without. My husband's step father is a selfish idiot. My husbands 17 year old brother is so lazy I can't stand it. Today I totally screamed at him for not cleaning up broken glass that was on the floor right in front of where he had been sitting and watching tv for the past 2 or 3 hours. I was a Christmas ornament that fell off of the tree and got broken. Very much noticable. Especially since it was right in front of him. My in laws have two dogs who were walking through this, not to mention I have a 3 year old running around. I want to strangle him.

I think I may have problems with anger management.

Oh, Christine....I am so SORRY! In-laws are a hot topic around here See many of our other posts in "Marriage Matters" if you haven't already.

I have never lived with my inlaws for an extended period of time, nor could I even IMAGINE what this would feel like! I have a hard enough time dealing with them part way across the nation, let alone in my own home. I completely feel for you, and I wish I had some terrific solution. I guess I would suggest spending some time away from the house when things get really heated like that....and a teenage boy lives there too....oh my.... :thud: Feel free to vent here ANYTIME!!

Comment

I can't imagine either. I love my in-laws dearly but I don't think I could live with them. I hope you can get out of the house to get a little break from them!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

I never have and I think I would have a breakdown if I did. The broken glass and lazy teenager would have sent me over the edge.

Just keep repeating to yourself that you are moving next summer. (right? )

Comment

wow I bow down before your patience.
          We've never as much as stayed overnight at my inlaws.
          Just think, you'll have stories to tell your kids in twenty years.
          Enabler of DW and 5 kids
          Let's go Mets!

Comment

I have lived with my in-laws, but the experience was not bad. Then again, there was no lazy son, no idiotic stepfather, no two dogs, and DH and I didn't have kids at the time. The worst part for us was feeling like a mooch, and sometimes lacking privacy. So I have no idea what you are going through, I would probably try to be out of the house as much as possible!
            You don't have anger management problems. You are probably as completely normal as possible, living under the same roof as your in-laws.

Comment

Re: In-Laws are making me CRAZY

Originally posted by christine

I think I may have problems with anger management.
              DITTO TIMES 100!
              Yes, we lived with DH's parents for about 3 months and I thought it was going to end our future together. To make a VERY long story short, as wonderful as in-laws can be, LIVING with them is an entirely different story. I love them, they are fun and are very good to me. HOWEVER, It is hard enough to live with anyone, even your own family!
              I feel your pain and hope you can stick it out until you two get your own place. I tried to be out of the house as much as possible because during the entire time, both his parents werent working (retired) and home all day. DH's mom is incredibly controlling and was into everything of ours. She made our bed and did our laundry etc.

They kept the house at about 80, which meant 85 upstairs in our room.
              I could make a movie out of that period of my life. I found myself clenching my fists and teeth unconciously.
              The one thing that I think can be a big stress-reducer in this situation is exercise. Get yourself on a regular workout program, set small goals and do your best to stick to it.
              I swam and went to yoga regularly - I think it saved me.... and them!! :!

Comment

Again, welcome, welcome, welcome.

You are ready for the sainthood. I'm currently at my inlaws and they do not make enough prozac in this world for me to live with them. However, I applaud your financial wisdom.

Kelly
                In my dreams I run with the Kenyans.

Comment

I could never live with my in-laws. Ever. I'd be arm-wrestling Kelly over that supply of Prozac.

Keep your eyes on the endpoint of this. About 6 more months? Hang in there.

Comment

Yep, six more months. I think that may be a small part of why we are going to KCOM, we'll have some space from both our families for at least two years.
                    I am so looking forward to having our own place. And in Kirksville we can afford a three bedroom, perhaps a house and I'll have room to spread out all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                    X