Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Snowed In!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowed In!!

I have been thinking of the northerners all day. It is a dreary day here, but all i need is a light sweater out. Keep warm!
    Mom to three wild women.

We're supposed to have a blizzard hit in the next few hours. The prediction is two feet of snow coming in all together at four inches per hour. It's going to be a wild night!!

Jennifer
    Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
    With fingernails that shine like justice
    And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

Icy dangerous mix here....and since the south can't handle any sort of precipitation, I do dread driving into work tomorrow!!

P.S. I can also feel a draft while I sit here! Someday we will own a home instead of renting like gypsies/bohemians!! KEEP WARM EVERYBODY!!!

Comment

We have a prediction of 10-14 inches here with blizzard like conditions tonight and a windchill of 20 below . (and I was just telling Nellie that NY winters aren't that bad )

I'm so glad this is Saturday, I hate hate hate it when DH has to go to work in this kind of weather. I finally convinced him today that he needs 4WD.

Comment

We got 2 feet yesterday!!!!! It is gorgeous!
          ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
          ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

We got about 1 foot yesterday followed by 35+ mph winds last night so it drifted everywhere. Luckily its just a powdery snow, no ice or sleet. My DH had to leave at 5 am this morning and could barely get out of the driveway. Then of course the snow plow came by and boxed me in. I spent 15+ minutes just digging out the end of the driveway because I couldn't get the snowblower to work. Ah, the joys of winter!
            Wife to NSG out of training, mom to 2, 10 & 8, and a beagle with wings.

Comment

We're expected to get some minor rain/sleet showers today and tonight. The sun will be out tomorrow (hopefully!).

Marla, I know what you mean about the south not being able to handle snow...my town doesn't usually get out to salt the roads until about 3 days after it snows so until then, the whole town shuts down...except, of course, the hospital. I get so nervous when DH has to drive in bad weather.

Comment

It has been snowing all day. We are supposed to get about 15 to 18 inches. DH is at the hospital now, and I am on call 6pm today until 6 pm tomorrow. If they want me they will have to come and get me because I drive a Mitsubishi Eclipse that really sucks in the rain, forget the snow.
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

We've gotabout 7 inches on the ground at the moment with additional snow showers expected throughout the night. We're just missing getting slammed. Philadelphia (all of two hours away) is getting slammed instead. (as are all of the cities north of us)

Jenn

Comment

We got just over a foot (my unofficial backyard reading). I'm so glad we are still renting and don't have to worry about shoveling or plowing ourselves out. :> I did wake up at 4:30am to dig DH's car out from under all the snow before he went to work. Then he couldn't even get it out of the driveway. He had to take mine, which is kept in the garage, only because when I come and go I take DD with me. I worry a lot about DH driving in this kind of weather, and really the big reason I go out and clean the car off is because I know he will only have enough time to use his hand to make a little peep hole on the windshield.

Anyway, I sure don't envy any of you expecting up to two feet, but I do love being snowed in. There is just something about it that is fun. It probably has something to do with the old thrill of school cancelations.

:{

Comment

We woke up this morning to about two feet of snow and it's still coming down! I just read that we might have a total of three feet by the end of today. Luckily it is a nice, dry powder. Very pretty.

Jennifer
                      Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
                      With fingernails that shine like justice
                      And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

13.8" in Central Park.

This is one of the few situations where I'm glad that we rent (the super shovels our sidewalk) and don't have a car (nothing to dig out for us). They still haven't plowed the side streets, though, so the hike to the subway station was a bit of an ordeal. Snowstorms like this are crazy in the city because there's nowhere to plow/shovel the snow to. Every square inch of space was already being put to use and there's not room to share the sidewalk with a giant snowbank. It's a mess out there, but it's still pretty fun.

We had nonrefundable theatre tickets on Saturday (Christmas gift from my aunt), so we found ourselves treking out in the heaviest part of the storm. It was pretty cool--the streets were only a third as crowded as normal and everything was fluffy and new looking. Cars were getting stuck and a dozen people would just step in and start pushing from behind. Before the show we had dinner at this pub that had this giant wall of picture windows looking out on the street. Halfway through dinner the waitstaff of our restaurant (dressed all in black) and the waitstaff of the restaurant across the street (dressed all in white), ran out and had a quick but intense snowball fight in the empty not-plowed street in full view of the front windows of both restaurants. Everyone clapped and cheered when they came back in.

I wouldn't want one of these too often, but they are a lot of fun once in a while.
                        Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                        Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                        Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

All I can say is I'm ready for SPRING

8)

Comment

Julie,

We were in NYC from 12-25 to 12-29 to visit my sister and we went all over the place, mostly by subway, but a couple of times by bus. My sister lives up by Ft. Tryon (sp?) Park and the Cloisters, and DH and I stayed at the apt. of some friends of hers who were out of town, near Columbia, at 125th and Amsterdam. I can picture so much better what you describe since our visit! We saw "Fiddler on the Roof" while we were there, and saw the World Trade Center site, and looked across to the statue of Liberty (we didn't take the ferry because it was freezing, getting dark, AND snowing that day). We also saw Rockefeller Center and the ice rink, (of course) and Lincoln Center, too. My sister (who is a singer) has a church job up in Irvington, so we took the train up there with her on Sunday morning and that was fun, as well. The cold definitely got to me, but it was an interesting visit and I look forward to going back sometime. My sister works for the Manhattan School of Music, but is applying to grad school to get her doctorate, either there or University of Michigan, so her time in NYC may be limited. She has been there about the same amount of time as you, I think.....this is her fifth year in the city.

Anyway.....I think you were out of town (or I thought you were) during our visit, but if I get a chance to go back, we will have to meet somewhere!

Sally
                            Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Cool! Christmas is a great time to vist NYC (it always reminds me of that Christmas carol "Silver Bells") and it sounds like you made really good use of your time. Yup, I was out of town then. Are your sister's feelings about leaving the city as mixed as mine?
                              Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
                              Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
                              Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

Working...
                              X