Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

This week... (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This week... (long)

This has been an absolutely ridiculous week and yesterday was just the icing on the cake.....

Saturday, Alex had his 6th bday part at our home (I will NEVER do that again!). Two hours before the party, I was right no target getting ready and was cleaning up the last bits in the playroom. I bent over and felt a terrible pain in my back...I actually ended up falling to the floor and couldn't get up. Thomas was gone and the kids were up in their room and didn't hear me. I cried for several minutes before they finally came down....I also was beginning to feel a little sick....I started having chills alternating with feeling very hot.....I was still in PJ's about 30 minutes before the party started and so I got on my undies and went down the stairs to see if my clothes were dry...as I headed towards the laundry room, I saw a van pulling up. I scooted into the laundry room and put on my shirt...but I couldn't get my pants on. My back was so painful that I couldn't lift my leg into my pants. Thomas started yelling for me and calling me to come to him 'immediately'....so I yelled "I can't get my pants on!". He came in and helped me. Then when I walked out of the laundry room I realized that a mom was standing right there in our house with her daughter (25 minutes early).

The party went from bad to worse......I couldn't bend over, couldn't herd the kids...and Thomas kept disappearing to the computer room To be fair, he did try...he just was overwhelmed.

Two parents stayed and watched me finally give in and put on Monster's Inc to get control of the group. I literally had tears in my eyes limping around because my back hurt so badly. (It is still hurting, btw...I think I did something to a disk. I'm allergic to cleaning, I tell you!)

So....Monday I had to teach and I woke up and threw up twice. :: . There was no one to take my lab and so I had to go in. I had a headache and sore throat and just wanted to stay home...as luck would have it, the lab went pretty lousy too. By Monday afternoon, my kids were all coming home sick. They stayed home Tuesday and Wednesday, although my Wed. afternoon they seemed to be back to normal.

So....I took Amanda to her dance class because she had already missed two. Before we left, one of Alex's friend's moms called. "Can Alex come over for an hour or so?". I was so excited for Alex about him being asked on a playdate that I said yes even though he hadn't been in school that day.

I drove to the house and it was literally a MANSION....they have a swimming pool in the backyard with a huge waterslide and tennis courts and a huge area to run. Needless to say as I drove up with Amanda, Aidan and Alex in the car I felt very small. I jumped out of the van and left the motor running to keep the other two warm and then ran in to drop him off. The mom was kind of expecting me to chat and so I said "I have children in the van"....so we were just arranging when she would drop him off and then somehow she got talking about the schools....and asked my opinion...big MISTAKE. I kept looking out the door at the kids and nudging towards the door, but she was as opinionated as I am. It also turns out that she is on the school board here. So as I had my hand on the doorknob yet again, she mentioned that all elementary school teachers should be forced to teach the kids spanish and that you didn't need to know a language to teach it. Do you see where this is going? I was staning in her house trying to get back out for 20-25 minutes. To be fair, I could see Amanda and Aidan (who was sleeping most of the time) and I did intend to get out..... (the shame the shame)

Anyway.....if you are still reading this, here's the punchline.....I got out to the van and it had just run out of GAS! YES....I couldn't get it to restart. Fortunately, it was still toasty warm but I couldn't leave. So I rang the doorbell and she didn't come to the door. I waited a couple of minutes and tried again. She ended up getting gas from the garage meant for their lawn mower and then stood out and looked into my extremely messy van and commented on the fact that I had two children there (duh, I said that several times when I was in her home and had my hand on the doorknob...but...I was chatty too). I left in shame, with my head hanging to the ground....tanked up and went home.

I came in the door and told Thomas hoping to get some sympathy.

"How could you be so stupid" was the basic response from him followed up with "I told you to get gas. Why would you do that?"

~sigh

I'm afraid to leave my house today....and....I need to move to a new town now.

kris
    ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
    ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Wow, what a sh***y day/days/week. I am sorry that you had such terrible luck.

I hope that you are feeling better and things turn for your benefit, soon!!

Comment

Right there with you, minus 3 kids.....I hope things start to turn around for you soon!

Comment

Yeesh, Kris. That sucks! Next week has to be better.

And....you don't need to know Spanish to teach it? details, details.....

Comment

I'm sorry for your sucky week, Kris. At least it will be over soon, right? Next week will be MUCH better, I'm sure.

Don't worry about it....try to pamper yourself a little this weekend if you can. :@ We have all been there, you know.

Sally
          Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Thanks....the week just has been lousy. I still have a headache and the house is a disaster because I've been too sick the last few days to DO anything. We hooked the internet back up and instead of oh...cleaning...I've been putzing around online all day. ~sigh

I am sure that things will look better once we are all healthy....but I just hate that I'm such a freaking social idiot that I can't manage to ever make a good impression on the social elite here...as IF it matters..Honestly, to me personally it doesn't...well, maybe a little ....but it bothers me more for my kids. My social ineptitude has a trickle-down effect. Why did I stand in there and keep engaging in a conversation with the kids in the car? why why why? If I had only dropped him off and left I would have made it to the gas station AND not have left them in the car.

Isn't there anyplace normal we could move to? Which also begs the question of how I would do trying to fit in with 'normal' anywhere.

OH...as to the whole 'you don't have to know a foreign language to teach it' thing...she said that teachers should just have to learn a few basic words. I told her last year Amanda's student teacher tried to teach them german and pronounced the days of the week wrong ... She said that the teachers should stick to the more basic things like numbers...again..if they aren't pronouncing them correctly, it is useful because? In any case, I think that you have to be fluent, you have to play games and understand how words and eventually sentences are put together so that you can teach them things in a certain order...I also am a supporter of the 'immersion' learning idea....but hey...who am I? I'm just the freak who leaves her kids in the car and then lets the damn gas run out.

kris
            ~Mom of 5, married to an ID doc
            ~A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss

Comment

Oh Kris, that's rough! Don't be so hard on yourself - you were doing well just functioning at the level you were while being so sick.

BTW No, there's no "normal" place in the world - only the occasional "normal" person. The trick is finding all of the normal people and surrounding yourself with them.

I hope you feel better (and, cut yourself some slack!).

Jennifer
              Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
              With fingernails that shine like justice
              And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

Comment

WOW. Consider yourself normal in my book. Seriously if you were to visit me you would think you are really normal. My house is a mess, clutter everywhere and I don't care!!! Reading your post reminded me of the old I Love Lucy shows. I went to Atlanta last week for 4 days because my Mom had surgery, and when I got back 4 days worth of dishes were in the sink. My DH is really a slob and it would take hime several months to feel that something needed to be cleaned. I digress, I'm sorry you had such a crappy week, but try to think of it as "making memories".
                Luanne
                Luanne
                wife, mother, nurse practitioner

"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." (John, Viscount Morely, On Compromise, 1874)

Comment

That really sucks Kris. Are you going in to the Dr. about your back? I think the lady is a little nutty for thinking somebody could teach a foreign language if they don't know it. And the gas thing--one time I ran out of gas 8 times in one year! I still get hell for that every once in awhile.
                  I hope this weekend goes smoothly for you--do something nice for yourself!
                  Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

One thing I love about this board is that people on here are so much like ME! I have serious tact issues, and feel like I am the only non Junior league, non former sorority girl in the medical spouse community. My dishes dont match, my house is dirty, i mow the lawn with DD in a backpack ( i have cars stop and stare when i do that and anywhere else it would be not a big deal), i dont know how to put on makeup and i dont go to church. AND for some reason I do seem to care way too much what other people think although you would think I would be able to put on a string of pearls and get my nails done since i do seem to care but i just cant make it happen.

So you have a soul sister down here in Georgia......

PS Except I am extremely anal, live in fear of running out and fill up usually bt 1/2 and 1/4 tank.
                    Mom to three wild women.

Comment

Urgh, what a lousy week! You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, you're certainly not a freak or socially inept. Things like that happen (well, maybe they don't always all happen at once like that ), so don't beat yourself up over them. How are you feeling today? I hope everyone is feeling better and that this week is looking a little brighter!
                      ~Jane

-Wife of urology attending.
                      -SAHM to three great kiddos (2 boys, 1 girl!)

Comment

Kris,
                        I hope you are feeling better today. You are being way too hard on yourself. Being sick is never fun...especially when you are the mom. You should definitely devote some time to yourself and go cropping this week.

Comment

Kris -
                          You get the gold star award just for surviving the week in one piece!! Believe me - you are not alone in feeling like a social crazy person! It makes me feel so much better to read your post and realize that I am not the only person in the world who feels like I want to stick my head in a whole after certain social encounters!!

Take a hot bath and get a massage this weekend - you certainly deserve it!!

Jen B.

Comment

Kris, that sounds horrible. I hope you're feeling better and things have improved in general. Your description really reminded me about the episode of Desperate Housewives when Lynnette breaks down because she thinks she's a horrible mom and others start telling her how they've messed up their kids too.

FWIW, I don't think you're a bad mother or a social inept. It's the other mom who has issues. The rest of the board seems to agree with this view, so it's definitely her and not you.

Comment

So sorry and boy have I been there! This will make you laugh...Saturday, my daughter was having a playdate at our house. The little girl is a doll but her mother is a total gossip. Any way, while the girls were playing nicely in my daughter's room I decided to clean the house. A few hours later I was dirty, sweaty and gross. To my surprise, my husband (3rd yr resident) arrived home. I asked him to keep an eye on the girls while I jumped in the shower. I'm in the shower (zoned out) a few minutes later when my daughter pulls back the shower curtain and asks, "Mom can we have a snack?" Her little friend was standing there staring up at me butt naked. Where was my husband you ask, watching tv on the couch. Oh well, that's the last time that little girl will be allowed over. Her mother is going to love retelling this story at PTA meetings! Oh well! Hang in there and keep laughing or you'll start crying!

Comment

Working...
                              X