Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

Home Warranty renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Warranty renewal

Did anyone renew theirs? We have gotten two or three repairs that have really made it worth it for us for this year. And our HVAC's are both 12ish years old- if they went it would be a financial nightmare. But we did have a heat problem and they wouldnt fix it bc they said it was pre-existing. I know some people think home warranties are a rip off. I am just wondering if it is worth the 400 bucks?
    Mom to three wild women.

Usually, I think the home warranties are a rip off. We won't be continuing ours -- partly because we have replaced damn near everything this house came with short of the furnace and hot water heater. Those are both about 4 or 5 years old.
    Has someone told you that the HVAC is shakey? If so, I think it would be worth it. We replaced the furnace in our old house and it was a chunk of change.
    How has your experience been with making claims on it? Isn't the whole point to fix problems on pre-existing appliances and equipment ?
    I forgot we had the warranty and I paid for a hot water heater repair but I made one for our dishwasher and stove. They gave me the cash equivalent for the dishwasher repair -- after trying to get my to buy a Whirlpool or something through them. The, uh, truth was that I had already purchased a new dishwasher and didn't want to hassle with switching. They said "ok" and sent the check. I wasn't happy at all with the stove repair. The repair guy said it works, and technically it did work but it was not functional. He mentioned several times that the odd shape and configuration would make it really expensive to replace. I'm guessing that is the real reason I didn't get anything for it. And the expense related to the odd shape is exactly what I would think a home warranty is for!

Comment

We just got a home warranty to make our (older) home look safer to prospective buyers. We actually used it last week when we woke up to a cold house, and it saved us money. We kept the one that we got with our house in San Antonio and it definitely saved us some money.......however, I agree with Nellie, too. The companies will do whatever they can to avoid replacing a large appliance. If you anticipate the cost of upcoming repairs (based on the age of the appliances in your home) to be equal to or more than the cost of the warranty, I would continue it.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

I think posting in this thread jinxed me.....I just realized that our furnace is once again not working, for the second time in less than a week. It worked after the repair guy was here on Thursday, so maybe this is a new problem? I just contacted the warranty people online and called back the company that was here Thursday......I hope the warranty holds up under all this "pressure"!

Sally
        Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Working...
        X