Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

ethics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ethics?

Okay, this has been hanging around in the back of my brain for a while. Last month DH had a plastic surgery elective and was treated horribly the entire time. He also saw a lot of 'unprofessional' behavior, to say the least. Things like the surgeon kissing and/or grabbing the breasts/butts of nurses during surgery (the nurses did NOT like/want this and complained about it afterwards, though never 'officially'), seriously instructing his residents to go to strip clubs and pass out his card to the strippers who 'could use boob jobs' , yelling at people for no other reason than to 'worship' him (he actually used words like 'you should be worshiping the ground I walk on), ect. And the thing that put me over the top was on DH's last day, the surgeon told him that closing a specific wound was DH's clinical exam (which actually does not exist). It was a cut that went through the fascia, DH said there were three layers of sutures to put in (I'm sure some of you will have a better idea of what this means than I do). DH has never put sutures in other than on the surface of the skin. So, this would be a great learning experience, but then the surgeon said something to the effect of DH being here long enough to know what to do and what tools to call for (DH didn't) and then left the room. So DH sutured unsupervised, and when he was just over half done, the surgeon came back in, yelled at him for being to slow and then stood over him yelling 'faster! faster!' etc until it was finished. The kicker?? This patient was HIV positive. To me this is unbelievable. I don't have a problem with DH suturing a HIV positive patient, but to do techniques for the first time and unsupervised, with the wrong tools, and then with someone yelling in your ear seems like an incredible risk.

So, the course evaluations just came out and DH reported everything. From what he knows, nobody has ever reported anything, in order to ensure a good grade. Still, I don't think anything will come of it, the surgeon is a big shot (and obviously knows it ), except for maybe a month from the bottom of hell when DH does his surgery sub-I next year. I know this kind of thing isn't normal within a hospital, but it must happen more than I realize. I mean, this guy is getting away with it, and DH talked to other people who have worked with him and and got same stories. Is it not as big of a deal as I think?

Well, I feel better anyway. It has been bothering me for a while. Thanks for the vent. :|

It IS a big deal, and yet I think it's very common. As totally outrageous as that story is, based on FH's experiences this year I have no difficulty believing it at all. I can't count the number of times he's told me some story and I've just said "You're kidding! And these are supposed to be professionals? Doctors?" It's scary. Thank God they're balanced out by the ones who are apparently great doctors and great people, so FH is not without role models and is still enjoying himself. Otherwise I think you'd have to be nuts to go anywhere near this profession.
    Married to a hematopathologist seven years out of training.
    Raising three girls, 11, 9, and 2.

“That was the thing about the world: it wasn't that things were harder than you thought they were going to be, it was that they were hard in ways that you didn't expect.”
    Lev Grossman, The Magician King

Comment

I agree with Julie....DH had many stories like yours during his surgery rotation in med school. He was actually leaning towards surgery at that point, and the behaviors he witnessed caused him to reconsider.....so I guess I should be grateful to the jerks he worked with! Good for your husband that he spoke up on his evaluation.

Sally
      Wife of an OB/Gyn, mom to three boys, middle school choir teacher.

"I don't know when Dad will be home."

Comment

Yup extremely common. DH actually came home with a similar story last week. Apparently there is a compliance hotline (at least in our state) where residents can file complains against attendings and hospital policies. One of the residents complained about an attending who is known for yelling and shoving residents. The dept chain in return called a dept meeting where he proceeded to scream at residents for complaining. I was shocked. But at least now the hospital will be forced to deal with this issue.

Comment

appalling

How appalling!
          Being from the business world, I have no tolerance for this type of behavior, and seldom do we see it. Any behavior one tenth as demeaning is grounds for dismissal. I cannot believe it's exhibited in medicine (well, I guess I can). DW hasn't come home with too many stories that bad and I hope she doesn't. Most are from patient interactions and some of the things that can happen there - especially in psych! which is the rotation she's in right now. Unbelievable stories.

Comment

In a way, I'm glad to hear DH isn't the only one with these stories. But mostly I'm amazed this kind of stuff happens. I'm looking forward to telling DH that you all have had similar experiences. It would probably have helped to know that he 'wasn't alone' so to speak, as he was going through it. I know he felt that way, and he was pretty depressed throughout the month.
            I guess I just don't understand how this is a good teaching environment. I do understand, though, how it turns into a cycle and the students who were crapped on throughout training turn around and crap on the new students they are in contact with.

I can't imagine this kind of stuff happening in an office, much less an operating room. :disappointed: Guess I'm pretty naive.

Comment

Re: appalling

Originally posted by toft21
              How appalling!
              Being from the business world, I have no tolerance for this type of behavior, and seldom do we see it. Any behavior one tenth as demeaning is grounds for dismissal. .
              I feel the same way, and I've been floored too many times to count by what passes as "normal" in this crazy profession.

Comment

Working...
              X