Announcement

Collapse

Facebook Forum Migration

Our forums have migrated to Facebook. If you are already an iMSN forum member you will be grandfathered in.

To access the Call Room and Marriage Matters, head to: https://m.facebook.com/groups/400932...eferrer=search

You can find the health and fitness forums here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/133538...eferrer=search

Private parenting discussions are here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/382903...eferrer=search

We look forward to seeing you on Facebook!
See more
See less

I'm new here, confused and worried...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new here, confused and worried...

Hi,
    I've been on and off this site reading posts for the past few weeks and feeling out of place to post. I feel out of place because it seems like I'm the only person in the following situation. I know everyone has their problems, but I envy those of you whose husbands are in residency or who know for sure they will match this year. My husband is a foreign medical graduate, had some setbacks, but has passed his boards and not getting interviews, or if he does, it doesn't work out. So when some of you sit and worry about where you're going to match, at least count your blessings and be grateful that your husband has even got interviews and possiblities of where he's going. It could be worse like my situation. I'm not mad or bashing anyone, I just needed to vent. It seems like no one is going through this. My husband graduated with his MD 9 years ago, researched 3 years post grad, did 3 years internal medicine at UCLA and during this time, he couldn't be licensed in the state of california because his school never got accredited there. Try telling that on an application or interview, they don't like it too much. So is there anyone even near my situation? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks everyone for letting me vent.

JackieT,

I am sorry you feel out of place. I admit that my husband has not had to struggle with being a foreign medical graduate, but we have had our own struggles applying for residency. My husband has a hand deformity, and he at times thought he wouldn't get into any residency program because of it- he is in a sense a liability, although he does a good job in adapting his skills for the OR.

I imagine that it is difficult. There is a resident in my husband's anesthesia program who is actually a licensed anesthesiologist in her home country, but because she wanted to live and practice medicine in the US, she is required to redo her residency and take the US board exams. I can't imagine the frustration that you and your family feel. Appication after application, trying to scramble for spots, and think that you have a place, only to find out that it's not an option. About CA- my hubby was going to take a job there and that state is notoriously tough as far as licensing goes.

We have good friends of our's, and the husband is in my dh program, and he has been in residency what seems like an eternity (7 years total for anesthesia). If he were back in Canada, their home country, the husband would be finished by now. However, because this couple knew that they wanted to practice some time in the US, and eventually return to Canada the husband had to do some of his residency in Canada, and some in the US. This is because both countries don't recognize each other's training programs, and I believe they don't recognize either anesthesia licensing, so this individual is also doing both board certification processes.

Please feel free to vent to us, so we can offer some support to you even though we may not be going through the exact same struggle.

Crystal
    Gas, and 4 kids

Comment

Hi Jackie,
      My dh hasn't gone through that, but we have some family friends that have and I'm sure it is incredibly stressful. My fil is a foreign medical grad (he trained int he Philippines) and he has had some struggles when searching for a job because he isn't from the US, even though he did do residency here. It seems like if they have come over here and "proven themselves" during residency that they should be treated the same but that isn't necessarily always the case. I hope you do feel free to join in here, becuase even if we aren't necessarily familiar with the struggles a foreign medical grad goes through, we can definitely offer empathy and suport!!!
      Awake is the new sleep!

Comment

Although DH is not a foreign student, lots of his friends are. A number of my family members were doctors in Russia and had to complete redo their residencies and board exams. On of my uncles went back to med school (and struggled for years to get into one) because he saw that as the only way to get into a good residency program. You're right, we have it easy when compared to what the foreign grads go through. Whenever I feel depressed or in a need to vent, I call up my aunt and realize that others had a much harder path. We're here for you whenever you need to vent.

Comment

Hi Jackie and welcome!!!
          Sorry to hear you and your spouse are going through such struggles. Although I can't completely relate I am aware of these kinds of issues. My DH is not a citizen and was faced with similar issues during medical school when it came to getting a residency. Luckily, he went to med school in the US so his issues weren't as prominent as IMG (international medical graduates). We got married his 3rd year of med school and if we hadn't, he might not have matched at all. Or if he did, it wouldn't have been a desirable program. All because he wasn't a citizen or permanent resident. Success, grades, research...VERY little of that matters in situations like these. Sometimes I worry that the primary reason he popped the question after 4 years of dating, was to get a good residency.

Regardless, medical education is VERY difficult and a bit discriminatory for IMG's. There are very few spots, money allocated and loads of INS nonsense to sift through for IMG's to do residencies here in the US. I don't know a lot about the process but I get the feeling that the hospitals have to do A LOT of paperwork, have increased cost, liabilty etc to include IMG's or those without permanent status into residency programs. It's easier and more "politically correct" for them to simply choose an American applicant, regardless of achievement, scores etc. Some say it is better to give to our own....Debate anyone???
          Anyway, Jackie....feel free to post and vent. No one here has the exact same story either (I sure don't!) so we can all share a bit of our experiences, strategies to provide some comfort.

Comment

Hi! We're in a similar situation although you and your DH are way ahead of the game. My FH hasn't even taken the boards yet but he plans on doing next year's match. He's IMG/FMG and I'm American. We'll actually be getting married this fall to get him a greencard so as to eliminate that obstacle when it comes to applying for residencies.

I don't really know what to tell you, except that I have a lot of sympathy for you. Do you know any other drs that know any program directors? Three drs I know in the US (we're living in Italy right now) have told us they will all help FH get into a program. I really have no idea what this means really but it's nice to know they offered. Can your DH try the scramble? He could go for a preliminary spot somewhere and then try to start PGY2 the next year.

I think you should move away from CA. If your DH's school isn't on that magical list of foreign medical schools accredited by the AMA, then I think you are seriously out of luck. You need to move to a state that will recognise his degree for sure.

Comment

Working...
            X